my 9 year old son still wets the bed.what should I do?

My 9yr old still pees the bed at night and im at loss as what to do.he will go several weeks without doing it then when he doese its so much.we tried night,night under pants(like a diaper) but my husband thinks that just makes him do it more and that its ok to still do it.i put a wett pad on his bed that soaks it up but sometimes it still gets all over everything.he has plastic on the matress.ive also tried the limiting the drinks befor bed at a certain time too.im just so sick of my son having to sleep in pee and washing the bed stuff all the time and not to mention the smell.ide just rather him wear the night,nights but im not sure thats helping.any suggestions on this or anyone whos been there ide really like to hear from you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My one son was about 11. He would have accidents now and again. The Dr. said not to make a big deal. It was a big deal to him though.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Does it bother him that he does it or is he embarrassed at all? My daughter is 7 and is nowhere close to being dry at night. Please feel free to send me a message if you like and we can try to help each other. I too have done the restricitng fluids past a certain time and making her go before bed all....with no results. Thanks and feel free to message me.

Debbie
    outdoormomwith1

Answer by outdoormomwith1 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My 9 year old daughter is the same way. She can't go a night without peeing the bed and we've tried everything. i was a late bedwetter too though. I keep her in a pull up. If those things existed when I was 9, I probably would have worn them too. Her doctor has said she'll grow out of it and she won't be in a pull up on her wedding night.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Do you wake him up when YOU go to bed? That's a big help in my family. And most boys that do wet the bed, continue to do so off and on until they go thru puberty. Be patient. It isn't his fault that his body is doing this. There is no shame in wearing the tween sized goodnights. It does stop the constant washing of sheets, pjs, and help with the smell. Another thing for the smell - hit the plastic sheet with vinegar and add vinegar to the rinse agent.

Good luck and remember that sometimes, at this age, it isn't all pee. As they start puberty, they also start "wet dreams" for some boys.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I had this problem til I was 20 I think.. it lessened every year but I was terrified.. my dad tried waking me each night to go to the bathroom.. that helped a little.. I don't have advice but I know it hindered me to not spend the night at friends houses in fear it would happen.. and I would try to hide it from embarressment as I got older.. what does his Dr say about this?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Imagine how he feels. My son is 11 and still wets every night. He wears the overnight pants which help keep the bed dry. We have tried everything. To be honest the doctor will not do anything till he's 13, that's the age they should out grow it. Our doctor just referred us to a nephrologist after exhausting every option we had. He just put him on a medication for overactive bladder. It helps somewhat but he's not completely dry yet. We are hoping he outgrows it. It's hard on him too you know. If it's possible you can invest in a bed alarm. That's what the nephrologist suggested we do. He could be a heavy sleeper. Try waking him up in the middle of the night. Set a extra alarm just for waking up and going to the bathroom. Cutting down on liquids helps but don't cure the problem. Does he have breathing problems? I have researched and some studies beleive that bed wetting can sometimes be linked to breathing problems.
    iluvmyboys381

Answer by iluvmyboys381 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2010