Do you take your child trick or treating or to planned events instead?

I admit, I miss the days when we'd go traipsing around our neighborhood on Halloween night. I'd always wait until it got dark because it was more fun then. Funny how I was never afraid to knock on someone's door to ask for candy, but if I had to go around doing the fundraiser stuff I was petrified, LOL.

But it seemed to have died off as I became an adult. You don't see as many kids around as you did back in the "old days." We take our son trick or treating, because we want him to have those memories. The only difference is we go when it's still light (for various reasons). May take him to an event as well, but not instead of. I want him to experience it all.

He went trick or treating last year for the first time, but could not say 'trick or treat' (but he did say 'thank you'). Now he can, and I think it will be a whole new experience for him.

What do you do?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• I do both,

My kids love knocking on the doors and saying trick or treat. Wishing they get something good.

Also, the town always has something so that is what we do.....

Would not miss it for the world... :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• We always took my son to both. He has trick or treated around neighborhood since birth. And then, we also did the mall thing and other planned events.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Trick or Treating.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Trick or treating
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• When I was growing up, we had to do tricks or perform for the treats.
    I especially remember the local banker would take us into the living room of his mansion. We would sing and dance in front of this gold framed mirror that was probably 12 feet by 12 feet. It would be the highlight of our rounds. I loved trick or treating. Now, I would like to skip it. But we will do it in our close neighborhood.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I grew up on a Ranch with no neighbors for miles, so my mom always drove us to town and let us walk through a neighborhood where we knew people. We have done all different combinations with our kids in the past.  A couple of times we just went to events. Last year we just walked through our neighborhood and the kids had a great time. We moved this year, so I don't know what to expect in our new neighborhood. Also, Halloween is on a Sunday this year, and that may have some sort of effect. I expect we'll attend at least one event the Friday or Saturday before and then walk the neighborhood on Sunday. I think my little ones are really going to enjoy whatever we do this year!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• we r goin to take our baby girl tric or treating she is only gonna be little once
    shona1983

Answer by shona1983 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• We trick n treat and my dh usually passes out to about 300+ children each yr...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010