What are some must haves that should be included in a care package to a son in Afghanistan?

This is my sons first deployment tour to Afghanistan any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 11:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• My oldest son was in Ira and we sent extra blankets (the nights get cold), magazines & books (hubby collected them from co-workers....they pass them around), hand santiizer, kleenex, travel sized board games, fruit cups, Gummy Bears, Gummy Worms, Twizzlers, gum, writing supplies, toilet paper (the Charmin To Go is great), shampoo, body wash, cookies, Little Debbies, microwaveable foods (pasta, mac and cheese, Betty Crocker desserts, Dinty Moore, etc.), baby powder, Scholls shoe inserts, etc..

If you are on Facebook there's a very large community of Moms of Soldiers and we are a great sourcce of support. If you are on FB, look me up (Tracy Cooper Ross).
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• wow My son,sil and daughter were all there. send , babypowder and athlete foot lotion, qtips, babywipes,plastic ziploc baggies(they keep the wipes on them in the baggies for quick washing and cooling off), batteries, juice/gatorade singles for their bottled water are a big hit. beef jerky(they love snacks they can keep in pockets)lotion, chapstick,sunblock. there are so many things.I'll try to think of more for you
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Some of his favorite snacks.Anything he might like to do such as books if he reads.They might not have a lot of down time but if they do they dont have alot of access to tv so and personal internet isnt readily available.Calling cards.Extra socks the heat makes you sweat and you would like dry feet.
    jamessmom154

Answer by jamessmom154 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have helped with some packages we do here in town for the Wyoming national guard that was deployed. We sent paper pens hard candy socks (lots of socks I guess they are easier if they can just throw new ones on rather than trying to wash them) baby powder (helps keep equipment from chaffing as gross as that seems lol it helps) and letters and cards are good too.
    amberv

Answer by amberv at 12:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I sent stuff to my BFF's hubby when he was deployed. I sent a couple of frisbees, a deck or two of cards and some other fun or funny stuff that they could play with (including a pail and shovel for building sand castles). It gave them a laugh (the cards and frisbees were fun to share) and they eventually passed the other "toys" out to the local kids.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 1:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My husband always wanted razors. They have supplies there, so a lot of things are unnecessary to send, but they are basic supplies. So if he likes a better razor than a bic, you should send those. Baby wipes for sure. Do not send too much candy. My husband says they have almost too much of it. Hard candy maybe....but no chocolate or anything.
    v8v

Answer by v8v at 5:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Mosquito spray!! My husbands unit is stationed in a nasty tent village with tonnnns of bugs that bite.
    wipes
    socks
    disposable razors and creme
    cigs (like someone said, can be used for trading!)
    baby powder
    disposable camera
    pics from home
    101InfantryWife

Answer by 101InfantryWife at 10:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• in some places, the bases or tent fobs are literally running short on the basic ammenities. try talking to him and see what basic care items they are lacking
    101InfantryWife

Answer by 101InfantryWife at 10:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would definitely check with him because every base has access to different things--I was on a huge base in Iraq and didn't need a lot of the stuff that was sent, I ended up giving it to guys that were coming from the smaller FOBs on restock missions. The things that meant the most to me were letters and pictures from my nieces and nephews, neighbor kids, etc.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• One thing I haven't seen mentioned is beef jerky.My son said they loved beef jerky.If you send large bags they will transfer them into zips and carry it around.He was on two bases when not out for weeks.When he was on a larger base they had plenty of stuff but liked us sending a cheap book and dvd one time then the next a best seller book and dvd the next.He left a lot behind for the next guys through.We were happy he left them behind, hopefully another soldier can relax and enjoy.Write,write,write.For the first half he was unreachable he is SF/MI but when he was able to recieve mail he liked reading the mundane as well as the neat stuff.He said it helped him feel connected to home keeping up with the mundane trivial stuff of day to day life back in the US
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2010