Tired of it!

My mom and I are sometimes best friends and I can tell her anything, and then at other times we are the worst of enemies. Ever since I had my daughter in Aug of 2009 she has been calling me bi-polar. I had the baby blues that ended up turning into postpartum depression. I went to a therapist and worked on it a lot. I used to be a compulsive lier, but I don't do that anymore. My parents are very by-the-book people, so every time I raise my child differently they tell me I'm wrong. Now I went to a doctor and he diagnosed me with something (cant remember what it's called) and it mentioned bi-polar. Now my mom wont stop calling me bi-polar!! She always things I'm over reacting when I tell her things she does bothers me. I just had a 2nd child and she keeps telling me I'm going to go into depression. My husband is trying to loose weight and she always calls him over weight when he is around. How do I get her to stop!?

Becca1189

Asked by Becca1189 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• if you don't want your mother talking about any issues in your home don't tell them to her. i have to set boundaries how much i tell my mother about the problems that may arise and i have issues with. so as not to invite her into the situation. now being that you used to lie all the time you have a reputation that perceives you. in time she will stop and start to believe in what you say. she doesn't didn't understand what the dr said about your condition and only heard bi-polar. i would just let it all go and ignore her and maybe not tell her so much info the next time. unfortunately now you have a mess but nothing that time won't repair so you will have to learn patience. wow that really sucks.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• hate to tell you this, but if you used to be a compulsive liar, and you were diagnosed as bi-polar, then you very well may have problems in that area.
    as for your question, you can tell her to stop, but she may or may not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Ignore her, don't ask her opinion on anything, and seriously just don't talk to her about anything important. My mom gets weird and I pretty much call her now and say hi how are you today, ok, and love you bye. Sometimes you just have to draw a line.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• When my DD is upset with me It rips my heart out and I try very hard not to say things that will up set her, I just hate it if she is upset with me. She has always had moods when it's near her period time, and now she's preg and she's really moody, but I understand and will let a lot go by and that's not my usual attitude with people. I just try to be considerate of her situation and mood and go from there, I do however think it's mean for your mother to belittle you or hubby, it's just wrong and breeds problems. Good luck hon.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If you live with your parents then it will be hard to get her to stop if not I suggest a break from her for a bit...no calls no talking...sometimes a little seperation can make things calm down and settle a bit. If she continues to put your bi-polar issue out there then talk to your therapist...maybe mom needs some sesitivity counseling!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010