Am I a bad mother?

I have a 14 month old and a 1 month old. I do all the chores around the house when DH is gone at work for 12 hours. We live in an apartment and our laundry room is right below our apartment. I just bought a baby monitor that goes up to 500 ft. I do laundry when both of my kids are napping in their cribs. I leave my apartment with the monitor and I lock my door. I am not gone longer then 7 minutes. Then I come right back up. My mom thinks I am wrong for doing this, but I need to get things done. They are napping and I have my monitor on so I can hear them if they need me. My mom just made me feel so foolish for doing it. Am I a bad mother for doing that?

Becca1189

Asked by Becca1189 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Hi Mommy

I am not condoning being away from your kids for 7 minutes (even while sleeping) but I will say that as moms sometimes we can be judgmental toward other moms.
    1) Have you ever used a cell phone in any way while driving with your kids in the car?
    2) Have you ever applied make-up while driving with your kids in the car?
    Let's be sensitive to this mom who has taken every measure to secure her children in her home & has a monitor in her hand the entire time she is in the laundry room.
    ** She is doing the very best she can with the resources available to her. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that we are all doing our best. She is not next door partying the night away while her babies are sleeping at home alone, she is stepping away for a few minutes to check her laundry. YOU ARE A WONDERFUL MOTHER
    blessedwork

Answer by blessedwork at 1:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have done similar things. Baby monitors let you know whats going on, its not like your outside smoking crack and have no idea whats going on in your house. I don't think your a bad mom.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would do the same thing. How could you possibly carry them and the laundry?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that. You can here whats going on, they are sleeping so they can't get into anything, your door is locked so no one can get in, and your downstairs for 7 minutes. Its not like your being irresponsible and leaving when they're awake or anything.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• No I don't think this makes you a bad mother.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I've done that. I wouldn't feel bad. If you don't do it, who's gonna?
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have done the same thing. WHen I had two babies and my DH was in SE Asia during the Vietnam war, I would go to the laundry room for a few minutes too, with babies asleep in the apartment. I don't think any of us are bad moms...we do what we have to do, with little help and we have to be strong.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• C'mon ladies! She has 2 kids. I doubt she can wait til the weekend to do laundry! Babies make ALOT of dirty laundry.
    You're doing fine hon. Don't let anyone get you down.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• me personally, I wouldn't do it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• No, you are not a bad mother at all. You know your children are safe sleeping in their beds, you have a monitor so you can hear them and you are only gone a few minutes. How else does your mother expect you to get the laundry done? Its not like you are next door throwing down a few beers.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 12:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010