Should I continue to rock my son to sleep or let him try on his own?

he is almost a year old and I am still having to rock him to sleep every time for a nap should I try to get him to do it on his own. when is too old?

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would for sure let him try to sleep on his own. He is going to make it habit and then you will have a much tougher time later. I think he is old enough for the transition.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Rock him as long as he will let you. Before too long..he will not want you to. He is only a baby once. rock away momma. No adult ever needs to be rocked to sleep, so, I am sure eventually, he will learn to sleep on his own. Just a hunch.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I didn't sleep train my daughter until she was 20 months old. She needed that extra mommy time. I only did it when I did because I was pregnant with my son and knew I couldn't sleep with and nurse two babies all night every night (and my daughter was still waking to nurse 5 or 6 times a night, EVERY night, sometimes more).

Give your baby what he needs for as long as he needs it if you can. It makes him feel safe and loved, and that's what you want for your child. He will outgrow the need at his own pace.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• thanks ladies I will Continue to rock him I suppose considering it hurts to watch him cry and he is spoiled to mommy
    tiffandgene2009

Comment by tiffandgene2009 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I enjoyed the rocking so much with my son that I did it up until he was 2, and I stopped because he told me no more!

Answer by older at 12:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2010