help me out here....

I usually worked about 60hrs a week so I never really cooked good healthy food. It was always from a box. but now that my son is born and I'm staying home, I really want to start cooking. the real cooking and not just slapping things together!! Can you help me with some easy 1st time things I can make that is tasty, healthy and wont kill our already tight budget?

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Chicken, mash potatoes, frozen vegetables, roast,potatoes, carrots, spaghetti, garlicbread, salad, chilli, grill cheese, meatloaf, corn on cob, mash potatoes
    ginabear1

Answer by ginabear1 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Stir fry! Dice up chicken breasts and fry em' in the pan. Then get one bell pepper, one onion (maybe a half), one package of frozen broccoli and a package of fresh mushrooms. Boil the brocolli before cooking it with the other veggies, after veggies are soft mix with the chicken and cook together for a bit for the flavor, then serve over white rice. Instant rice is cheap and fast and good!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You should try the biggest loser family cookbook its got some good stuff in it. I made pinapple porkchops, baked potato and asparagus spears last night :) Also if you want to eat healthy try replacing hamburger meat for ground turkey.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Roast chicken is easy and cheap. Get a whole bird, clean out the cavity, rinse and then dry bird with paper towels, salt and pepper cavity. I like to put half a lemon and a sprig or 2 of fresh rosemary in the cavity too. I make butter with seasonings mixed in, then I put a few pats of butter just under the skin. Let it roast in a 300* oven for at least 90 min, until it gets to 160* with a probe thermometer (or the juice is clear/golden when a thick part is poked with a fork). Then cover with a foil tent (after coming out of the oven) to rest for about 10-15 minutes. Carve an serve. YUM! I then put the bones, a few carrots, a few celery, and an onion into the crock pot (filled with water) on low overnight and have yummy stock when i wake up.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 12:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• MMMM - if you want to do stir-fry right...

Boil the rice, let it cool...

Cook up your chicken/veggies, whatever you're putting in it, and set it to the side.

Put some oil in a pan, and start frying your rice with some soy sauce... and then scoot all the rice to one side of the pan - pour in a little more oil, and add 1-2 scrambled eggs... then as the eggs cook, mix them with the rice.
    Once this is done, and all cooked, mix together (I do it in a big bowl, LOL, my pans aren't big enough!) and it tasted just like restaurant quality!!

I've got lots... PM me, tell me what kind of stuff you like and I can tell you what I usually cook for my family. We have a tight budget (about $500/mo for 6 people) and we always have leftovers.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I agree with silversmom. And also agree about the stock, b/c then you have dinner for the next night as well- a yummy fall soup! You can also use an orange if you don't have a lemon, and if you use an orange, rub some brown sugar with the butter under the skin, for a sweet and savory taste. Goes really well with cubed and roasted butternut squash!
    CinnamonScallop

Answer by CinnamonScallop at 12:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• thanks guys this is really helping, wow is my husband going to be surprised!!
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You might want to make tomato sauce once in awhile. I used to make a big pot of it and portion it out to freeze for future meals. It smells so good as it simmers all day! Put a little olive oil in a big pot and fry up some onions until tender and then throw in a little fresh chopped garlic. Add 3 three large cans of plum tomatoes , cut up (with all juice). Then I would add oregano, basil, a little salt, and a LITTLE crushed red pepper. I would just pour the spices in..........so I would guess 2-3 T oregano and 1 T. basil. You can always add more later as you can with the red pepper. Let it simmer 2-3 hours stirring often. Then I would put in a package of sweet italian sausage and let that simmer another hour or 2. You can skim off the fat before serving over pasta. I love making this on a cold winter day! If you don't want to spend all day on it add 2 small cans of tomato paste and it will thicken up nicely.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• baked chicken breast
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 10:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010