What do you think of the concept of "redistribution of wealth?"I saw this posted and I liked the very simple terms it showed this concept in. I was just wondering what others thought of this concept?

Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money." I laughed. Once in the restaurant my server had on a "Obama 08" tie, again I laughed as he had given away his political preference -- just imagine the coincidence. When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. (Continued below)

Peaches8701

Asked by Peaches8701 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• He stood there in disbelief while I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside. The server angrily stormed from my sight. I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy was g rateful. At the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he DID earn even though the actual recipient deserved money more. I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.
    Peaches8701

Answer by Peaches8701 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• pretty much.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Are you rich in the financial sense? Do you think it is fair that the rich have gotten most of the tax cuts in the last for years? Do you think that people who make less than $50,000 a year, don't work as hard as other people? Redistribution of Wealth means that rich people (making more than$250,000 per year) will be the only ones getting their taxes raised! Everyone else will get a TAX CUT!! What part of this do you people not understand! Most of the people on the board would have more money in their pocket!! GET A CLUE!!
    Anonymous

• I love it. That is one thing I dont get. How can you take money from someone who worked hard and earned it a give it to someone who did nothing to earn it. I guess just another one of obamas plans that I dont agree with. BTW I am not rich. I make like 33,000 a year LOL were I live is not even considerd middle class I would be lower class (i live in a trailer park)
    Anonymous

• I am far from rich in any financial sense, but I don't know that I believe that just because someone is lucky enough to have a better job and makes more than I do because they work for it means that they should pay more to live in the same country.
    Peaches8701

Answer by Peaches8701 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• That was great! I wish I could have seen the waiters face. As far as the rich people getting their taxes raised... there's a problem with that philosophy... these rich people are the ones who employ us and we need to keep the jobs in this country. With Obama's plan, we risk even more layoffs and jobs being shipped overseas.
    Anonymous

• I dont think its fair to steal from the rich to give to the poor. I am not rich Like anon 628pm said I make less that 30,000 a year but they work hard and earn their money. Besides I have not heard what obama plans to do for the poorest of the poor? I dont really care that they get tax breaks. Is someone who makes less than me going to give me a job? Are they going to help me in anyway? NO
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Typical REPUBLICAN response!

BUSH/McCAIN The Rich keep getting Richer and the poor keep getting Poorer! How do you figure the money would be give to someone who didn't earn it? I think most middle class people work very hard for what little money they have! Would you rather give your hard eard money to the GOVERNMENT? Did they do something to EARN YOUR MONEY?? maybe you wouldn't live in a trailer park if you weren't paying so much money out of each pay check in TAXES!! Look at your paycheck stubs and GET AT CLUE!!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• what a good idea this was and one that should be tried out more. i am another one that is considered poverty level and i do not agree that the idea of this is in the least bit fair. there will be more economic problems then there already is and how does the under 250,000 know they are going to see 1 red cent of that tax money. haven't seen the plan for redistribution yet.......bet the waiter is another satisfied obama supporter.
    Anonymous

• To be honest with you, I would probably be considered poor based on my income, but I still do not think it is the government's responsibility to give me money. I have had my taxes reduced by the current administration to the point where I really don't pay anything. Should they just give me money? I think if they want to help those who don't make as much money, they should do it by offering job training, skills classes, opportunities rather than giving money or more tax cuts. So maybe you don't have a clue either, as to how the system really works. All of the things that Obama wants to do are going to raise our taxes, I don't care what he says - there is no way he can pay for all of those "programs" without doing so, unless he is going to personally fund them.
    Peaches8701

Answer by Peaches8701 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008