Anyone out there home schooled as a child?

I was wondering now that you are an adult do you wish that you were not home schooled? do you feel that you missed out on anything? What did you like what didn't you like about it.
I'm thinking about taking my son out of public and homeschooling him. He is a different kid now that he has started school is is bouncing off the walls everyday when he gets home.

motherwanting6

Asked by motherwanting6 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, but I have wanted to ask this same exact question, so Im looking forward to hearing your answers!
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 12:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i along with my 5bothers and sister was home schooled. i wish i wasnt. real school helps u understand sitting for 8hours at a job u hate(i cannot hold a job i get bored) also homeschool stunts social skills,because whats acceptibal at home is usally not acceptibal in public, u have a hard time making lasting friendship cus u never had a place to build them... homeschool can be great for some kids if the parents actually do it correctly. most dont tho
    mayo9mommy

Answer by mayo9mommy at 12:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I was homeschooled as a child. Academically, it was great. I got a scholarship to NYU and graduated with honors. So did my twin sister. But we had tutors and I think that is very important in homeschooling. Even if the parent is a certified teacher, I believe it is very important for the parent to be the parent, and the teacher to be the teacher.

I do feel I missed out on a lot though. Even though I had plenty of friends, I always felt left out. I couldn't go to fieldtrips, I couldn't have the fun they were having in the class, I didn't have a prom night.. And many many more more experiences I missed out on.

My little sister who is 13 years younger was not homeschooled, but she went to private school. She just graduated high school at the top of her class.

I wouldn't homeschool my daughter. I chose to send her to a non-religious private school and so far, she's doing great!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 12:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am glad I was homeschooled. We were able to socialize with other families of our same mindset and had wonderful learning experiences.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 12:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I was not homeschooled. IF my mom would have done it,,,,yea I would not have been happy about it. I really liked being in public school b/c I got to experience different things and different people who did not necessarily think like me or do what I did. :) I like conversing with people of different mindsets.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010