does anyone else have a super sensitive child?

my 21 month old is SO sensitive! i swear you even look at her the wrong way and she's in tears. but she's also extremely happy too. it's hard to keep up with her moods! for example she wanted a sip of my pumpkin latte today and i said no, not in a mean way, obviously i'm not going to give my child coffee, and she flipped! shes a screamer too. just curious if anyone else has a child like this? does it get better with time? or worse.. lol

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I DO NOT agree with butterflyblue19. My son is 22 months and he has never been sensitive. As a matter of fact, when he was younger nothing bothered him. I think it is the age right now. He is the same way and has never been taught, "Aww poor baby." He is independent and doesn't need a lot of attention or attaboys. But strangely, out of nowhere he has gotten very sensitive about things that make sense but also things that have you scratching your head. I'm sure it's just a phase..like the two months straight that he screamed ALL the day long in a high-pitched voice! There are a million of them and you and I are both close to the terrible twos too!! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son is very emotional.. he gets very upset about things I don't understand. He has no problems in the NO aspect when he's told that however ex of this morning, we were walking in to the store and he saw a bumped area on the concrete and cried because he doesn't like bumps and didn't want there to be bumps in the road.. like really?? what do you do with that??? stuff like that I don't get and try not to under or over acknowledge them as they seem to happen often.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• sensitive? mmmmm,sounds more like spoiled IMO

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• why not i give my three girls coffee. all my girls are in one way or another. my youngest, tell her she has to go to bed and the woter works start flowing. my other two i tell them they disappiont me and thats it. i think it has a lot to do with the parents. i was the same way when i was young.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

if she were spoiled, i would've given her the coffee. come on now!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Spoiled as in giving in to her emotionally. She learned the waterworks ploy somewhere.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

Oh, ok. I don't know honestly. She's the middle child too... middle child syndrome maybe?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Could be. She's learned her power lies with the "aww,poor baby" ploy. Nip it in the bud. Imagine that attitude with a preteen to teenager!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• lol yes very good point. it has gotten better slowly but surely.. but she still has her little breakdowns daily. now with the 3rd one in the mix though she's had to learn very quickly that it's not all about her! but no, i dont want this kind of behavior in the teenage years, aahhh!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010