is this normal for a 8 y/o boy

my son cries.........ALOT. and about anything and everything. for example, he was doing homework and i pointed out that his writing is messy (which it is and his teacher can't read it) so he went in his room and cried over it. Then when he put the dishes away, he put the bowls in the wrong place and when my husband corrected him, he started bawling.

he also does this at school. my main reason for asking b/c now the other kids are picking on him for crying over things like he didn't get the snack he wanted or he wanted to sit by someone else.

i need to fix this before his self esteem is completly gone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think so, My son is almost 8 and does the same thing! My 13 year old did that around that age too. Just overly sensitive, I quess!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My nephew did it when he was around that age, just try to be understanding and give him some space. Maybe talk to the teacher and see if they can do something to where he is feeling like he needs a break he can give his teacher some sort of signal and maybe go to the library or someplace quiet to settle himself down.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 7:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• my 8 year old is like that too but at school I think so far he's been ok. I think that they are just overly sensitive
    ivetastic

Answer by ivetastic at 9:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My son went through that last year around Christmas time. He had some personal issues which made it even worse.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My daughter was like that now I make sue she gets more sleep. When she cries I tell her to stop & just explain that there is no reason to cry I only am trying to..?..to help so that she'll know for next time. Its cut down on the episodes. If he doesn't like his snack have him help you get things together so he gets things he does like. Help him help himself.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't know. But I;d like to suggest (book) The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman. It helps us see how each child may feel loved or unloved in different ways, and helps parents to make sure their kids do feel loved deeply.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:19 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My son is now nine and we are just starting to grow out of that stage. It's a transition from little boy to big boy and it isn't easy on them. Be patient with him and just talk to him calmly about it.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 4:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My 8 year old son is the same way!! I feel better now knowing that he isn't the only one, and that it's just a stage they go through.
    Anonymous

• my son tried this but stopped when he got ignored. At first I was irritated by it and would fuss at him which only made it worse. then I would just tell him to stop which only made me frustrated. after that I tried to show him how silly he looked so I would fake cry louder and throw a bigger temper tantrum but of course it accomplished nothing. I finally decided to just walk away, turn off the light in the room as long as it did not make it completely black, and would pretend he did not exist until he stopped. after he stopped, we would talk and i would tell him that he needed to use his words when he was upset or something because i could not help fix it or anything if i did not know what was going on. it took about a week but it did work to break the habit. good luck.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• All 3 of mine went through this stage too. We didn't "correct" them per say, but redirected them by giving them examples they could relate 2 such as. "What's worse, not being able to sit by the friend(s) & sit w/ other friends or sitting by urself ?" and the same thing w/ snacks bc mine did that too. So we stopped giving them snacks period (and that one, they learned real quick lol). As for the dishes, maybe try "helping" him by doing it w/ him and physically show him where they go and he'll pick it up on his own. Now the writing, IDK bc my 10 yr. old son tries the same thing and I've actually let him turn his hw in just the way he wrote it. So, if u find a way to get them to write better let me know!!!! lol
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2008