how can you get your child to stop throwing tantrums ?

I have a 17 months old thats constantly throwing tantrums if we go to the store she wont wanna go unless she gets what she wants and its so embarrsing even at home if she sees us eating she'll want our food and if we dont give in she throw her little fits by throwing herself on the floor kicking and crying until we give her what she wants she is just getting out of hand and i dont know what to do with her anymore ..

sexigurl09

Asked by sexigurl09 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take away her thunder. If she starts in at home,put her in her crib and walk away. If its bad at a store,leave.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• 'until we give her what she wants'

don't give her what she wants. We follow this attitude. that it's ok to feel how you feel, but the tantrums and fits get them no where.
    we just pretty much ignore it, and like Butterflyblue19 said. If there's a fit in the store,then leave.

she throws a fit, you give her what she wants. seems like that's the situation to me.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have had 4 kids and they all stopped the tantrums when I stopped paying attention to them...just walk away when they see your not paying attention they will stop at some point and wonder what is going on, why aren't you doing anything
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son's tantrums stopped once I stopped giving in. It was tough for about two days but it ended. I should never have given in from the start. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i agree. my little girl hasnt had but a few tantrums but I started early. as soon as she got the idea.. cry they will give me what i want.. i stopped doing it (you could tell she knew what was going on) she knows that mommy doesnt do fits, or whining for no reason and wont give her any attention if she tries it. so she asks and if she doesnt get it 90 % of the time she goes on about her business and doesnt worry about it
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my son recently started tantrums and I ignore him when he throws himself on the floor or starts bucking and screaming I leave him and walk away and he gets up and follows me and I ask him if hes finished and he stops, if you dont feed into it then they stop they are doing it for a reaction and if you respond then it gives them the power but if you ignore them it takes away the fun
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2010