? for those who are on or have been on food stamps

We had to go apply today, and i am having really mixed emotions about it. I'm glad it is there but I just feel like such a failure. Like, how did this happen to us. We have never in 10 years came close to being eligible for assistance. I feel like we have failed our children. We should have had more saved, should have done this and that. I've never looked down on people on pa, i just never expected it would be me, ya know? At least without a little warning. IDK. anyone else ever feel like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes I became a single mom without expecting it with no job. I used it for a very short time because of my feelings. You will feel better when you rise above the level of eligibility.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 1:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yep. it sucks. sometimes its necessary tho....dont blame yourself, blame the state of the economy....
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Nope. I have been on and off foodstamps, as needed. I will do whatever is necessary to feed my child. There is NOTHING to be ashamed of. There are MILLIONS of people on food stamps becaues jobs are nonexistant and parents have to feed their families.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Don't beat yourself up about it your doing it because you need to. I do have a word of advice when your at the store keep your cart behind you so the next person is not close enough to see your card and give you dirty looks or shop during football games..just be preparred for the holier then though types who will judge you. Nobody on foodstamps deserves to be judged but it is a mean society these days just keep your chin up and know your doing what is best...things will get better
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Absolutely not. Back when I was a single mom providing for two kids, I too, used food stamps.

I do not consider food stamps a form of welfare, but rather a necessity. After all, food is a God given right... food, shelter, clothing. It's nothing to be ashamed about.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am on PA and yes I feel shame using that stupid card to buy my DD food but nothing could make me feel bad for feeding my child.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• tyfry7496 i love your answer to this poster... Good job..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 1:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes. But we're working hard to stand on our own feet. It's taking a while, but we're very glad the help is there - however, we're trying to not become dependent on it. I think that's the cincher. It's so easy to become lazy and just expect it. I know of people who will not improve themselves and take better jobs simply because they would no longer qualify for food stamps or other PA. As long as you remain humble about it, thank it for it being there and keep working towards picking yourself back up. Good luck, hang in there and take care!
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 1:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• we had to get food stamps recently after we both lost our jobs. my husband hated using the card - i personally don't give a damn what anyone else thinks - no one but me knows my situation such as that i supported my daughter for 18 years by myself without a dime of PA or child support or that i worked my ass off to triple my salary in 6 years, etc. people can judge me all they want, but i just did what i needed to do to survive. i will probably have to reapply soon as we are about to have a baby and my unemployment is about to end or at least decrease. gotta eat... i feel that i would be failing my family by having too much pride to do what needs to be done to get necessities, including accepting help when necessary.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Reasons like those you gave are why we have food stamps - people who are trying, but have fallen on hard times. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Hindsight is 20/20 - don't kill yourself over it.
    Live, learn, get back on your feet, raise good kids, make sure they get a good education, be happy!

No one (in their right mind) gets angry when people who are trying to make it get state help. Its when people don't try and just live off others that people get pissy.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010