Dogs and De-Fleaing

My boxer has NEVER had fleas before. But lately he has been curling up next to me, or halfway climbing into my lap and then proceeds to de-flea my arms. Why would he be doing this? It actually tickles. A lot. I was just wondering if anyone else had a dog that has done this before.

QueenMomma2023

Asked by QueenMomma2023 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pets

• my dog does that to me his toys..i blame the cat i use to have..he would flea bite my dog when he was a puppy.my dogs also do have fleas and he does it all the time i have them on a pill that stops the fleas..i think its cute..if you want your dog to stop tell him no every time he does it it worked for one of my boys the other one still does it..
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You taste yummy?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My crazy dog doesn't do that to me, but he does it to himself. No, he doesn't have fleas either and never has. If you scratch him in a certain spot on his belly/chest, he will "chew" on his front leg (I call it "eating corn on the cob") and kick one or both of his back legs. LOL
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No no nno no no. He does not have fleas, he has never had fleas, he gets a monthly treatment of the Advantix to prevent fleas. He is just chewing on my arm like a dog defleas themselves. That is all. There are no fleas anywhere around here (house yard etc). I was just wondering if anyone elses dog has ever de-fleaed their owners when there are no fleas involved.
    QueenMomma2023

Comment by QueenMomma2023 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't mind him doing it. I'm like you. I think it's cute. And like I said, it tickles. I was just wondering if he was the only odd dog out there or not. lol
    QueenMomma2023

Comment by QueenMomma2023 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If the fleas are jumping on to you then it means you more then likely have a bad infestation because fleas like the warmer temperatures that animals put off.  You will need to get a flea preventative from the vet and use it for at least 4 months to make sure you get all the fleas.  Animals can become anemic from fleas so I'd take care of it asap

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Advantage kept my house flea-free for 2 years! I swear by it! It's not that expensive at the pet store either. Good luck!
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010