show hoarders-

curious- for those that have seen it, does it make you want to clean up, or make you more lazy because after seeing the houses on the show you think
'Gee, compared to that place, my house is wonderful?'

just curious................

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Gives me nightmares!! My house is pretty clean, but it does make me clean even more. My husband has hoarding tendencies, and it really has been a problem in the garage. When we moved 1200 miles a couple of years ago, he had to leave before the boys and me because his job started before we'd sold our home. I had to clean out the garage, and I had no idea what I was getting into....Nightmares!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Neither for me, really! :) I just get a sense of awe at how they let their homes get like that. I also am fascinated by "Intervention" but that show depresses me so I stopped watching it.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I watch that show. Those shows do inspire me to weed out and get rid of things and it also makes me want to get up and clean!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• it makes me cleaner because i don't want my house to even remotely resemble that! it also makes me think twice about holding on to something because i can 'fix it later'.....i see that excuse alot on that show!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Neither, My house is clean and I don't have a problem keeping it that way, I think more than half of those people on that show are not hoarders, there LAZY. I've seen that show where those people are clean given there situation, just tons, and tons, and tons of stuff, I've seen other shows where its not "stuff" its trash, and animal shit and whatnot, rotted food, those people are just to lazy and it gets out of control to the point its a problem, I feel so Mersey for those people.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think it's a illness with these people. you often hear that it gets bad after a tradgedy in their lives. My mom got like that- after her parents died it got a little worse, then it got really bad after she lost her job.
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I've seen other shows where its not "stuff" its trash, and animal shit and whatnot, rotted food, those people are just to lazy and it gets out of control to the point its a problem,

Those are the ones most likely to have a diagnosis, not least likely. No amount of laziness causes you to stockpile your own feces in a spare closet for 10 years. Pay attention to the shows - the A&E one and the TLC one. If there's a psychiatrist or psychologist involved, there's a diagnosis. If they only have an organizer and no mental health professional, it's laziness. Very rarely do they only have the organizer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am a neat freak, and I would actually get ill being in a place lie that! It is a phobia! I cant help but jude messy dirty people!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It makes me thankful that even when my house is a disaster (Meaning dishes in the sink, laundry on the floor, etc) I still know that it is spotless compared to those houses.

What a lot of people don't understand is that Hoarding is a mental disorder. Whether triggered by a tradegy, a previous lifestyle (like childhood experience), or something of that nature. That it isn't something they choose to do, it's a compulsion. Yes, we naturally judge everyone, but you have to see it from their side of the fence. That even if they recognize the disorder, it's not as simple as stopping the behavior. It's a compulsive disorder that they dont' really have control over.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It just makes me thankful I don't suffer from that disease.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 5:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010