Why does my 3 month old pushes back on my breast while I'm feeding her?

I'm nursing her and she pulls and pushes my breast the whole time. I'm struggling to keep it in her mouth. Then if she overpowers me and the latch is broken, she crys. If she don't want to unlatch, why won't she leave my breast alone and just enjoy the feeding?

I'm tired of annoying yall with my breastfeeding questions but it seems everytime I do I am encouraged to keep going. I guess that's what I'm really looking for when asking these questions. I'm starting to not enjoy breastfeeding anymore but I wanted to go at least a year. And here I am 3 months in and having feelings of quitting already.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds went through this around that age. he's now 11m old and is extremely distracted when feeding around anyone or anything. i found that my breasts were starting to regulate the supply and my fast flow was slowing down. this was, i think, annoying my ds since he was so used to the fast let down and fast flow. try la leche league's website. also, this may sound odd, but if it's lack of let down, maybe try massaging your breast a little when she pulls away. it may help speed things up. if it's related to slow flow, try using gravity and having baby underneath the breast when feeding. love the breastfeeding group here on cafemom. so encouraging and so many good women out there with plenty of advice that is tried and true. keep at it. i was happy when i hit 6m and now we're going on 12m.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• hold her hand when she's pushing and place it down.
    Sounds like she's kneading like a kitten! :)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• sounds like growth spurt behavior. please check out the breastfeeding moms group for support and advice. you can always go to kellymom.com for anything breastfeeding related. hang in there, momma! it will get better!

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• btw, it sounds like she is trying to get your milk to let down,
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Just be patient, hold her tightly to your body. She's probably just impatient or distracted. My dd does this every time she goes through a growth spurt come to think of it, I never connected it until reading the above responses. It doesn't last long and she will stop eventually. You can go to a dim, quiet room. That seems to help sometimes when I am having this issue.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010