what medicine can i take over the counter for a cold while breastfeeding

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont know what you CAN take but i know that you need to stay away from Sudafed....WIC told me it will dry you up or diminish supply...GL!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Check with your doctor. I think that Tylenol is okay. Keep drinking plenty of fluids & eating well to keep up the BM production. Your baby should be fine because he or she is getting your antibodies through your BM. I hope that you get to feeling better very soon.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 1:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• go to kellymom.com. there is a list of meds that are safe to take while breastfeeding. when i'm sick, i take extra vitamin c, 1000 mg vitamin d, colloidal silver spray, and a garlic supplement, along with my pre-natal, a probiotic, and omegas. i also take some zinc. if i'm congested, i use a saline spray and a neti pot. if these things don't help, and i get to the point where i can't take it, i will check kellymom.com and find something that's safe. make sure to drink extra fluids, especially if you take an otc, since many can decrease supply - if taken too often.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• the best ting i didand i really ddhelp is boil about 2 oranges in some water and add a little sugar and sip as if it were tea . but boil with peel in . that where all the good stuff is at . and some good home made veggie or chiocken soup . chicken ,carrots, bay leave, salt pepper , celery, can of mixed veggies and some potatoes oh and garlic .. all that is so good for ya and it made me feel better . i had a cold every 2 weeks while i was pregnant . I drove me nuts. Please dont take any medecine . My doc gave me so much meds while i was pregnant and i think thats why i had me baby preemie :( the doc is not going to admit that tho
    kimmi85035

Answer by kimmi85035 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• ask your doctor or pediatricion (sp)
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 2:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• MANY OTC meds are OK. Tylenol, Dayquil, yes even Sudafed... STAY HYDRATED and no drying problem unless you're taking too much Sudafed (and if so you have OTHER problems ahead). Mucinex, standard cough remedies, echinacea....all good too. Ricola, Chloraseptic, Theraflu...all safe. Robitussin, Delsym, Airborne... also fine.

NYQUIL should be avoided due to the knockout factor of the alcohol in it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• BTW... docs generally DON'T KNOW what's safe.