Bully

How have you helped your child deal with bullies? How did you stop them from becomimg a bully after being bullied?

mistie3480

Asked by mistie3480 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i hate bulling and when one of my kids come home telling me they get bullied i get so mad i just want to protect my children from anyone and anything... i tell them to follow some steps if it continues i go to the school and MAKE the school do something if they don't want to help then i take it a step over to the board of education and so on and so on....
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son has been bullied for years in small, isolated incidents. One boy in particular was horrid to him until my son actually got his school bus route changed to avoid him.

I told him I felt sorry for the kid, that this kid's life at home and school must be pretty miserable to make him pick on others to feel better. Well, one day he started in on my son again, telling him he was useless at art, no one would tell him because they were sparing his feelings, a "real" friend like him would be honest, he felt bad for him, etc.

My son looked him in the eye and said, "I feel bad for you. I'm sorry for whatever is going on in your life that makes you feel you have to hurt other people to feel better, and when you want to talk about it, I'll be around. Until then, leave me alone about my drawing, because I think I'll trust Stan Lee's advice over yours."

He's had 1/10th the problems with that kid since.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Good for your son geminilove. I think we should teach our children to stand up for themselves. As far as becoming a bully we as parents need to learn the signs to prevent it. I don't want my child to become a bully. My DF was a bully and he still has bullying traits. He don't mean to be that way, it was never addressed when he was younger. I have to remind him at times that he's being unfair and he needs to take a step back. He's not proud of what he's done in the past. Prevention is our biggest weapon against bullying.
    iluvmyboys381

Answer by iluvmyboys381 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I hate to say that my step-daughter is a bully. I know it is because she was bullied. She developed faster than other kids and was taller than the boys in her class when she was in grade school. Unfortunately for now, she is being homeschooled because of some incidents at school. We are still trying to work on the problem. She is seeing a therapist and we make sure we listen to her when she opens up. I think alot of bullies, bully other kids so they don't get picked on themselves.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 6, 2010