Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

can an ex wife legally make her ex husband pay her $10,000 with taking him to court?

Answer Question

Asked by maelonnah at 1:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • i guess the courts can do anything they see fit...not just cuz she woke up and said "i need 10,000 i am going to get it" she is going to get it...but it all depends i guess

    Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • I would imagine the court would want to have some sort of proof he owed her that money for some reason.


    Answer by louise2 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • Does he owe it to her through alimony or child support? Was in in a pre/post marital agreement? I guess it depends on the circumstances.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 2:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • If she is going to court.

    Depending on the reason she is asking for the money, why/if the money is legally owed..and other factors

    Yes. A court can award her the money. If she can prove he owes her the money, for whatever reason. A court can and may very well rule in her favor.

    Answer by pixie_trix at 2:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • i meant without taking him to court they didnt go to court she just went to a lawyer and had the divorce papers written up she doesnt have to pay him anything and her name is still on the house but she isnt paying anything on it and she left him in $13,600 dollars worth of debt when she left she was getting all of his checks to pay the bills and she didnt pay anything for 4 months she let the house go into forclosure and the had to pay 3,000 and some odd dollars to save it and a 1000 dollar utility bill and 8,000 dollars on her car that she wrecked and 1000 dollars for hope of family to negociate so he could even save his house it is stupid and i dont think legally she could do that without taking him to court right?

    Comment by maelonnah (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • He needs to get an attorney right now if the divorce isnt finalized and be represented the judge can have them split the debt. He dosent have to give her any money unless a judge ordered it period.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • Attorneys can put whatever they want in divorce papers, but nothing is final until the papers are signed by both parties and/or a judge orders it.

    Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • he needs an issues are hard to determine with just a bit of info...the attorney will know what can and cant be done...

    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.