Dog hasn't urinated in over 12 hours

My dog was diagnosed with Epilepsy yesterday by the vet & given Phenobarbital to take. She's half cocker spaniel, half dodson. My concern is she hasn't urinated or taken a dump since 6 p.m. yesterday. I called the vet, they told me to wait 48 hours cause she could be dramatized from the vet visit.
I'm just very upset & concerned because this can't be normal! Have you ever been thru this with your dog? Please give me some hope! The vet said I'd be wasting my time & money to bring her in so soon but I'm so worried! Hubby & I thought maybe it was the medicine but I've read so many articles on it that says just the opposite, that she should have excessive urination, not completely stop! She's eating and drinking like normal. The medicine has made her act "drugged up" but I was told that would be normal till her system gets used to the meds.

jon6pat

Asked by jon6pat at 9:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Pets

• My lab has epilepsy(spell check)and takes phenobarbital. I would give it a little while. If they are still eating and drinking they WILL go in 48 hours. Are you sure they haven't went in the house somewhere?
    lnmauldin7

Answer by lnmauldin7 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I have never been through it. If the dog doesn't seem uncomfortable, and the vet has told you it will be ok if it doesn't go much longer you can relax for awhile and keep an eye on her. I guess you are with her all the time. My dog sometimes doesn't want to go out or does nothing out there but then I know the little critter had dumped it somewhere in the house! Could your pet be a little disoriented from the medicine too or just out of sorts to know the routine? I know you are worried and I hope all goes well and you see that everything comes out alright!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Thanks for your comments! She did finally pee and take a dump! Hubby thought she'd never stop peeing! Guess they were right to wait for 48 hours. They thought the trip to the vet was what tramatized her but she's been there before.
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 8:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• a lot of times the meds make them so drugged up that they don't want to get up to use the bathroom and will wait until they can't hold it anymore to go...I'm glad she finally went so you don't have to worry anymore :-)
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2008