Do you speak to the child or parent if he/she pushes & hits your child but the parent doesn't say anything?

I think I handled it okay but is there a better way??
At the dr's office yesterday my son went over to this toy that was hanging on the wall. He's just standing there looking and this 2yo little boy pushes my son away from the toy. The boy's 9yo sister that's standing there tells him not to push and he hits her. Minutes later he swings at my son like he was going to hit him. The mother is on the other side of the room not paying attention while this is going on. So I had Brian come back and look at a book with me until the boy left the area. I'm guessing their ages by their size I don't know how old they were. The boy wasn't much older than 3 even though he was bigger than Brian. Brian is 2.5.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would have done the same thing as you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• In that situation, I think you did well. It would be another story if the child was going to be in more constant contact with your child. If you're at a play group or something like that and you see the child bullying yours, I don't think it would be inappropriate to break things up and tell the child not to hit/push. If you were babysitting the bully, then you would have the authority to talk to the child and you should definitely talk to the parent as well.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 2:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i think you handled it well.. being that it was a stranger and you reacting any other way wouldnt change how that child act..
    1. their mom wasnt paying attention to them to care enough to get him to stop
    2. he hit his sister and their mom didnt say anything AGAIN
    3. thats probably how everyday is for them, mommy didnt teach him good manners.
    now that doesnt mean that its ok for him to do it but when his mom wouldnt do anything and you didnt knwo them enough to say.. if you hit him or push him again he has the right to do the same to you without being in trouble.
    my nephew hit and pushed and we told him to stop and he kept doing it (even tried to be sneaky but they are 2-3 we are ALWAYS watching ;) and when he didnt listen we told him that if he pushed her again she would get to push him back and not be in trouble. he didnt like that at all. so hit cut it out. strangers are different tho?? and not worth it, prob wont change
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Totally agree about the manners Ross2010. I stay on mine at with please and thank you, saying excuse me, apologizing if they do something they weren't suppose to, ect. How others don't teach their kids that I don't understand?? You can't wait until they are older and hope they to do it.

Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• if another child does something inappropriate once (as long as my child doesn't get hurt) i let it go. i will tell my child, usually loudly, about the behavior that child is doing and how it is not acceptable and that we don't behave that way. if the child continues the inappropriate behavior, and the parent(s) don't say or do anything, i WILL say something to the child.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You did the right thing by trying to avoid further contact.. I would have confronted the parent if I didn't knw the kid.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2010