is 9 years old too young to go trick or trating with friends without an adult?

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• IMO, yes...I am sure others would disagree with me though!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It depends. How many kids? A big group would be better. Will it be dark? Go over the rules a few times. Does he have a phone? I would probably let him go, but I would be nervous.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• sorry i read the question wrong. for me it would depend on a lot of things. are they going to be around the neighborhood? is a grownup taking them somewhere, but staying out of sight? how many friends are going? and do you trust the kids? if you say no to that last question, disregaurd the other stuff and go with fallnagel93 answer.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• IMO no, but I consider myself to be on the more overprotective mom side!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 2:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'd say it depends on a few things 1) where you live, would you feel safe for your child to wander around alone where you live (because there's always the chance your kid might get separated) 2) the maturity of your child - does he listen to you very well? 3) the maturity of your child's friends - are they responsible kids? 4) what time of day they go. I'm still getting used to 'night time' trick-or-treating on the 31st where I live now. My city I grew up in always had it noon-4pm on the last Sunday of October.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 2:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• how old are the kids that will be chaperoning?, what kind of neighborhood are they going to be in, and how far from home is he going?
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes, I do think that is too young.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Umm YES. It doesnt matter how many 9 year old girls are in the group. Do you think they could stop something bad from happening, or someone harassing them. That SCREAMS "TARGET". The fact that their are other parents are willing to let their children go without them, scares the hell out of me.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Only if he was with a group of friends and it was at the mall or somewhere public. I wouldnt let him go in the dark in the neighborhood.... sadly it just isnt safe for kids these days to be almost anywhere by themselves. Be choosey who and where he is going without you.
    NewMommie333

Answer by NewMommie333 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• well he would be going with four othe boys his age, in our neighborhood. i know a lot of families in the neighborhood that he can check in with so i know about where his is throughout the time. He would go from our home - to his friends house acroos the way and back, about a mile combined there and back. he rides his bike back and forth all the time, so he knows the way, it's just a straight ride. However, being dark will change things. I do trust him, he's mature enough i think..... i also read that "this day in age" if you want your child to get kidnapped you would have to leave him unattended outside for over some 10,000 hours (don't remember the exact statistic but it was UNbelieveable!!) for the odds of it to actually happen, and that parents "these days" are too paranoid and over protective. .... i'm not being negative, or careless. I haven't decided yet on the issue... just what i read....
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2010