What do I feed my 8 month old?

My mother and mother in law keep my little girl while I work and go to school. They have been introducing her to people food without asking me if it were ok. Things they have been feeding her include pudding, bread, vanilla wafers, scrambled eggs, mashed potatos, ice cream etc. Now my little girl will not eat her baby food at all. The only things I can get her to eat are the gerber finger foods, and baby mums, and formula. She only has two teeth, and is working on a third. I am worried she doesn't have enough teeth yet to eat people food. I am worried about her diet. Any suggestions?

MPW2005

Asked by MPW2005 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is old enough for real food. However, the foods they are feeding her have no nutritional value. Even with only three teeth, she can eat.
    Try avocado, baked sweet potatoes, banana. Find real foods that are nutrient dense to feed her. Veggies, fruits and some meats. yogurt
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• omg! bad grandma's!!! first of all they should never ever give her anything without checking with you. second, eggs for an 8 month old? the white part of an egg can cause extreme allergic reactions with infants under 12 months, and even after that you have to be careful. i know grandma's looove spoiling their grandbabies but tell them some of the things they're giving her could potentially endanger her health, and they should just stick to her baby food and the foods you say it's ok to eat.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Here is an awesome site.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/#nogo

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• UGH. I'm sorry about that. I'd say it's the 'grandma' thing of spoiling. Tell them no sugar AT ALL. Quit with the pudding, ice cream and cookies because it's giving her that preference. Keep up with the formula for sure, because at her age, that's really what's important right now. Quit with the people food and start back in on vegetables first. Work through those then after that you can start in on the fruits along side of the vegetables. But, yes, tell them to knock it off, they'll have time to spoil her when she's older but right now they're doing a horrible thing not only to you with the stress of getting your child to eat right, but a horrible thing for her to learn to enjoy eating right.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 2:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• She can gum many things by now as evident with the bread, eggs, and vanilla wafers. But you need to tell them to eliminate all things like pudding, cookies, and ice cream. You can give them each a list of what is allowed and ask them to stick to it. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• She's ready for food, just let them know that you want her to have nutritious things. Banana, pasta, soft veggies, whole wheat toast, cheese, you are supposed to wait until a year for eggs, but I guess she didn't have an allergic reaction to them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thank you guys soooo much for all the wonderful ideas! Bradenismyson I have been on that wholesomefood website. They have some great ideas!
    MPW2005

Comment by MPW2005 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. My daughter got to a point, too, that after a while she refused all baby foods and just wanted real foods. So long as she isn't eating junk food and is still having plenty of formula/breast milk, she'll be fine.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My general rule was that if I could easily smoosh the food between my fingers then my DD could gum it with her mouth- think things like potatoes, noodles, fruit, etc. Also, I cut things up very small. My goal was to cut it up small enough that if it didn't get chewed and was swallowed whole it wouldn't choke her. Avocado was popular, canned peaches, noodles, rotisserie chicken cut really small.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010