Am I the only one who can't decode her babies cries?

I have three month old twins and I can't necessarily tell what their cries mean. I know if they're hungry, tired, etc. by the way their day has gone. Now I can tell by their cries if they're just kinda upset, pissed, or just trying to get my attention, but that's about it. I have three older kids too and I felt the same about them too. I guess I go more by body language, sucking their hands (hungry), kicking their feet (gas, or poopy) than cries.

twinmama2five

Asked by twinmama2five at 2:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For me, crying was a signal that they needed something, but the crying alone was rarely enough information to tell me exactly what it was that they needed. I used other clues to figure it out, and I didn't always guess correctly on the first try. Also, I think it's normal to take a little longer mastering clue reading when you're trying to do it with two individual babies at the same time.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I dunno. I always had mine on a routine eat play sleep repeat. So I always kinda knew what they wanted by what was next in the routine. Growth spurts would throw me though.
    Anonymous

• My son had colic so when he cried, it was CRYING.. I never knew the type of crys either mommy. Then again I don't feel I was born with those mommy instincts either.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I know what my babies need, not by HOW they cry, but by their behavior. Cries pretty much all sound the same to me, varying only in decibel level lol.

I don't believe that babies have cry language, I think that moms know what their babies need if they keep them close and watch their cues.

Also, if your babies are crying to be fed, they are STARVING. They should be fed before they are ever crying for it. Watch for cues like being more alert, looking for you, opening their mouths, etc.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Don't worry about it. It wasn't until mine was 9 months old or older that I could actually hear a difference in cries. Personally, I think the older they get the easier it is to tell the hunger cries from being tired from being hurt, ect.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I never could tell what the cry was for just by hearing it. I always had to go on hints like where we were in the day, in the schedule, etc, and if that didn't clue me in then I just had to guess and hope I found the solution sooner rather than later. I never said to myself "Oh, there's the hungry cry, or the tired cry."
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Nope. I could never tell what my daughter was telling me by her cries. I came to the conclusion of what she wanted through logic and other environmental cues. She never cried about having a dirty diaper though, so I basically only had to cycle through tired, hungry, fussy/pain, lonely and just crying to hear herself cry (yes, she did that). Also, she RARELY did visual cues - except for the furrowed brow for pooping in progress.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It took me forever to figure out which cry meant hunger. I felt so awful when I finally figured it out! But babies survive this all the time. Don't beat yourself up about it, it's not worth it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You are not alone. I can't tell the difference between my 8 week old sons cries either :( It kind of makes me sad too, i thought i would be able to by now.
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 6:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You are not alone. I can't tell the difference between my 6week old baby girl cries either it makes me sad too, i thought i would be able to by now :(
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010