Anyone taken Effexor for anxiety?

My Dr. just prescribed Effexor for me for my anxitey and panic attacks that I have. I was wondering how you did on the medication. I have not started it yet- and kind of scared of the side effects. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Health

• I have been on Effexor XR for about 7 years for depression and anxiety, and it changed my life. I've had NO side effects to speak of. Maybe I did at the beginning as my body adjusted to it, but I don't remember them. It's been such a big help to me and I'm now a happy, healthy person because of it! :)

Good luck!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Try it. It may work when others didn't because it gives you norepinephrine and seretonin in the brain. I used it after other things didn't work and it changed my life! Also, if you are post menopausal, one of the good side effects is it reduces hot flashes.
    Anonymous

• No, Im not post-menopausal. I am 26. I am glad to hear it really helped you. How long were you on it for? And what dosage?
    Anonymous

• I tookit for Depression and I loved it! I also have a friend who took it for Anxiety and she recommended it to me! She said it was the best thing that ever happened to her. Just be sure to give it time to work be fore you make a decision about it. It takes a bout a month!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thanks! So no bad side effects? That is great to hear!
    Anonymous

• I took it for depression and it did nothing for me. I popped the things like candy and felt nothing.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I'm 21 and got put on it for severe PPD. After nothing else helped it changed my life. That stuff is wonderful!!! The only draw back and I'd say it's been a pretty bad one is coming off of it. I have started being weaned off it now and it's not going well. Also, I forgot to take it for 2 days when my son was 3 months old and the withdrawl effects were so bad I passed out cold, face planted it, and my poor baby was crying right next to me for 3 hours and I didn't wake up. It's pretty great stuff when you're on it but be prepared for when you come off of it.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 8:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I tried it... STAY CLEAR!!! With in 24 hours of the first dose my liver shut down! It's very strong and has a horrid addiction rate!

My husband was on it for two days and started to hear voices and see spots...

My sister in law hallusinated...

NOT SAFE!!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Be careful. All drugs have side affects. If you can work on taking control, then you won't need it. I've been there. The doctors get kick backs from these prescriptions. Make sure that you are 100 % comfortable and have all of your questions answered. This drug is addictive. I'm not trying to scare you, just speaking from experience. And remember, everything in baby steps. Little by little, you'll take control of "you" again.
    Anonymous

• It's not addictive. You won't CRAVE it. That's what addiction is. You can form a dependency on it, just like other anti-depressants, so you will have withdrawal symptoms when you quit taking it. If you have a chemical imbalance "taking control" won't be enough. These drugs can help reset your brain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2008