Disinfecting Toys

How often do you do it? How do you do it and what toys do you disinfect.

I ask because I am doing it for the first time in more then two years. I have always been a believer in kids being exposed to germs so their bodies can learn to deal with them. But with a new 4 month old who has been struggling with a cough and cold for more then a week I couldn't help but wonder what we where passing back and forth. I have been soaking anything I can in bleach water and spraying the larger items with bleach water or my safe disinfectant. The stuffed toys and larger items I am struggling with, but what is too much and as I clean the toys I find I feel so bad for having waited so long.

DoveMomma

Asked by DoveMomma at 2:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Health

• Don't feel bad. I'm with you in the belief kids need to be exposed to germs. But at the same time, toys do need cleaning here and there, especially if you have multiple kids. The ones you wash with bleach water are, of course, the ones with poreous, hard surfaces. I usually throw softer toys in the washing machine, but then again, I have older toys which can be. Otherwise, look up an all-natural disinfectant you can use like vinegar water you could mist onto a soft toys.

Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 2:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am a germ lover. I never clean toys, unless there is like food stuck to it or something. My kids are really healthy except for a cold now and then...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have wiped down stuff with Lysol wipes on occasion. Most of my son's toys have not been disinfected and he's four years old. I really wouldn't feel bad, your 4 month old could have gotten the cough anywhere. My son once licked the handle of a grocery cart. Now, that freaked me out. Kids are going to put everything in their mouths and you can't disinfect everything.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Once in a while, if the kids cant get over a cold or something, i'll run over all the toys with a clorox wipe or something, But i've never actually soaked everything to disinfect. I'm a believer in germs too! lol!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I use disinfectant wipes. I wipe all the plastic toys and things like handles, light switches, our cell phones, ect.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have never done it. When they were little I put dirty toys in the dish washer, but I have never disinfected everything. I have put dirty stuffed animals in the washing machine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'll clean toys if someone is sick but I just use my natural disinfectant/anti-bac homemade cleaner: 1 part water, 1 part vinegar and a few drops of tea tree essential oil. I'd rather not use chemicals that are known skin irritants, lung irritants, eye irritants and carcinogins in my house
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Never. My kids don't get sick. Disinfecting everything weakens the immune system. A body can't fight off what it is never exposed to.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Disinect the toys once or twice a week....babies do need to build up their immune system...
    tanya120

Answer by tanya120 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010