community watch

my neighborhoods CW usually stands at the end of each street in bright orange vests with hallogin (sp) flashlights on halloween night to keep a look out for trouble and keep things safe for the kids. The fact that we do this atracts allot of out of neighborhood families and some of them are from not very good places and bring thier habits with them. Because of this a few people suggested that this year instead of doing our normal thing that we just have a party at the elementary school for people with registered neighborhood addresses only. Is this fair to the kids that aren't a "bad element"? I understand wanting to keep our local kids safe but half the fun of the night is trick or treating.

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• No it's not right or fair. You can't protect your kids from everything and you can't keep evil out of a community. I think what you guys do is enough. If you're really worried about your kids be there with them instead of being out there alone or have them go with a trusted adult.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am all for safety but it sounds like your yearly tradition is safe! I would keep doing what you're doing! Changing now may confuse they kids and shunning other neighborhoods is tacky.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• it all started because last year some inner city kids ( i live about 10 miles from baltimore city) came and were stealing bags, knocking kids down, and painted ont he local play ground. While doing these activities a CW person yelled at them and one of them pushed her into the street and she was almost hit by a car. The Community council is worried that next time it wont be almost and could be a child.
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think your community only party is a great idea. I see nothing wrong with protecting your kids and your neighborhood. Its awful that one bad kid can ruin it, but it is better to be safe than sorry, right?
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• if they cancel the trick or treating I personally will just take my son to another neighborhood. He likes trick or treating...walking around the gym just wont be the same.
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2010