How do I get my dog to stay off my couch?

For some reason my dog loves to sit in my favorite seat, not the kids or daddy's seat, MY SEAT!! I want the dog off the furniture completely. It drives me nuts, i can't stand the hair. The dog is a 10 year old golden retriever.

T327

Asked by T327 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pets

• when my mom was staying with me i had the same problem with her dog so i got one of those remote trainers. It fits on like a colar and when you hit the button it gives them a slight jolt. It only took 3 days for them to get the point. Now they wont even get on my moms couch at her house.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Or, you can go a cheaper safer rout than shocking the animal and buy a squirt bottle for only a couple of bucks, fill it with water and use it. Every time you catch your dog on the couch say "NO, and OFF" firmly, and squirt the dog once or twice in the face. That has always worked for me, and doesn't take long at all. You just have to stay on top of it and never go a day where you just let the dog on your couch because you just don't feel like chasing them off. That just sends mixed signals.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My friend got a shock pad same idea as the collar. You place the pad on the seat and it gives them a little shock. It works very well.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Or you can do the easiest, cheapest, and most humane method. Just place aluminum foil on top of your couch whenever you aren't using it. Dogs don't like feel or noise aluminum foil makes when they jump on it.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 3:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010