What would you do if your daughter is sneaking out at night?

I am having this problem with my 14 year old daughter. She has not done this before, but I have caught her twice this week alone! When I have confronted her, she gets a bad attitude and won't talk with me. My husband generally has always dealt with the discipline issues, but this week he is away on business out of state. I obviously need to do something, but I am at a loss right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• It's no coincidence that she's done it twice in the week that he's out of town. Your daughter doesn't seem to respect you, but don't expect that to get any easier! I'm 22, so I was there not too long ago, and I remember feeling like my mom was trying to end my world. If she won't talk to you, you do all the talking, even if you have to stand outside her bedroom door and talk to the wood lol. She needs to hear that you're worried about her and love her, and ask if there's anything you can do. Take her shopping. Have a full day just for the two of you. It sounds like the two of you are gettind distant, and you need to close the gap before it's too late!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Set motion sensor lights outside screw her window shut and put alarms on the doors. Other then that not much you can do.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 7:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I say talk to her like she is an adult with respect and then ask her where it is she goes and is that important to sneak out for. That maybe if she asks you for permission you might let her go. Teenagers want to be treated as adults even though they're not. They think they know everything and nothing they do is a mistake but it ALL is mistakes. I remember when I was a teenager and I used to sneak out of the house. Your teen will withdraw more from you if you talk down to her. The attitude is so she doesn't have to explain herself. If you two communicate better, she will feel guilty for what she is doing.
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• be more strict on her it seems to me that she is only doing this because she thinks her dad isnt home and you arent going to punish her like you said dad does all the discipline. she needs to know you arent going to let her walk all over you.
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 7:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• be more careful when you sleep, nail her window down, put sticker bushes under her window, put a loud sensor on her window, put jingle bells on the outside of her door so they jingle when she opens it...clamp down, it's goofy and childish but so is she. tell her you'll quit freaking out when you can sleep at night and just don't back down. she's your baby and could get hurt out there...she's like a big big child right now...and she's acting like it. We have two teens who always get treated the way they act...
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 10:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• ummmm.if you do what the two above are telling you she will keep doing and and not respect you unless when she does get caught she gets punished big time for it. don't do anything that will make her run away from home. she is just being a regular rebelious teen and there are better ways of dealing with it other than nailing doors and windows shut.,

sorry girls for not agreeing with u..;o)
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My daugter got caught sneaking out a couple of years ago. We grounded her, took her phone, nailed her windows shut and forbid her to see the boy she was sneaking out to see. She had an attitude for a little while--but when we didn't cave in, she stayed grounded--the boy lost interest and we had our daughter back. It's tough love--but it works. You have to be the adult. Your kids have enough friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• When I was about fifteen my best friend and I would climb out of her window, and sneak off down the street to our friends house. Her mom saw us one weekend, but didn't say anything right away. The next weekend we were sneaking out of the window, and her mother jumped out from behind the porch and scared the crap out of us. She was like "See how easy it is to get abducted! I could have been a serial killer!!!" Her mother marched us down the street, and made us go to our friends house and tell our friends mom what was going on, then we marched over to my house, where my mom and dad proceeded to ground me for a month. No, I never did that again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• You know what scared me from sneaking out at night...my mom said to me, "what if something happen to you,then I will have no idea where you are and wouldn't be able to help you if you were in trouble."
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• so totally grounded. she will have to earn her trust back. sleep in her roon or outside her room. remove her door no more privacy. remove all her stuff cable phone computer etc. you need to grab the bull by the horns. show her you mean business and there are now consequences. we are to parent them and teach them not be their friends. I like to remind them its either this way nice and peaceful or else I will react. pray pray and pray more :)
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008