How do i get my baby on a better schdule

So for awhile i was putting my baby to bed around 2 am because my fiance worked the late shift at work and he didn't get off till one. Well the finally changed his schdule and i cant get my baby to go to bed at a different time. Now she go's to sleep beetween 2-4 am!!! Im going crazy. I tried to let her cry herself to sleep a couple times but she started screaming like she was dying and i had to pick her up! Well if you have any suggestions plz let me know...thank you so much!

sierramor1

Asked by sierramor1 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Patience, patience, patience. My daughter was going to be at 11 for the first few weeks and then we decided to move her to going to be at 7. The first day of switching I made sure to keep her up more during the day. The first few nights were a big stuggle of going in and rocking her to sleep, but she has now got the hang of it. It will take a few or more nights of her fussing, but be persistant and she will eventually get the hang of it. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• give yourselves a week or two to get the new schedule going. It is going to be a really looong two weeks- but will be totally worth it.
    Put your daughter in her crib at the time when you want her to go to bed (maybe start giving her a bath before bedtime). Read her a book or give her some toys that light up and make soft music to play with. Just start off by letting her know that from now on, around this time, she will be in her crib. I tell my son (at nap time) that he dosn't have to sleep, but he does have to play by himself in his crib for 30 minutes. I"m sure he can't understand what i'm saying- but i keep on saying it and stick to my guns. I don't let him 'cry it out' though. I will stop in and talk to him or give him a different toy- but i never take him out of his crib.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• You'll have to keep her up when she wants to nap and shorten her naps too. mess with her legs and feet and hold out her feeding if on a bottle or boob for a while so she's not napping after a feeding at 9pm. she has to get tired enough in the day to sleep at normal bedtime for you. she can have a bottle of water to suck on if needed at night...get her up early and get her to nap at noon if possible. I dont know how old your baby is but you have to nap if she naps too so you can do this w/o freaking out from exhaustion.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 9:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I read somewhere that it takes 3 weeks for babies to adjust schedules. I agree w/the PP that you should try keeping her up more during the day. Also, it's not too early to start a bedtime routine. Try a night feeding, a warm bath, a story, then rocking and singing to her. If you do the same routine each night and end it by laying her down, in a few weeks, her body will automatically shut down at the end of the routine. Good luck mommy!
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2008