I have rocked my son Emeri to sleep since he was born...

but now he is almost 5 months and screams the entire time i rock him.. but i dont know what to do, im not one of those moms that let there babies cry it out in there beds, but what is my other option?

Abigaillenore

Asked by Abigaillenore at 2:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try putting him in his crib and see what he does. He might just need a little time to settle down.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i have he went to sleep the first time (at night) but for naps he just cries..
    Abigaillenore

Comment by Abigaillenore (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Is he gassy maybe? Are you rocking him after eating?
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• 5 months is very young he will change a lot more. What worked once may not work again.
    You said he cries when you are rocking him, will it sounds like he does not like to be rocked. Try to pat his back when you lay him down or on your lap.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Naps get harder as they get older. Rocking might not work now but it might again in a few months. I put my DD in a sling and start in on laundry or dishes or whatever and then she goes right out.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Make sure he is napping when he is tired- not overly tired but ready for a rest. Try to have some sort of routine that signals nap time- for my DD we still read a story and sing the same songs we do at bed time, the only things that's different is no bath at nap time. I couldn't let my DD cry it out either so what I would do is go thru the routine, lay her down and go out for two minutes (I used a kitchen timer) and then I would go back in if she was crying and I would rub her back or pick her up and cuddle her until she settled back down and then I would put her back in the crib and repeat this until she fell asleep. It worked for us, I think it helped her to learn to settle down on her own but it made me feel ok that I wasn't leaving her to cry for 10, 20 minutes, etc which my nerves just couldn't take. Within a week I rarely had to go back in more than once and now she sleeps like a champ. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• he has only started this 2 days ago, im thinking it might just be teething, he is getting his top 2 teeth right now, so it could be a number of thingsthat just come with teething.
    i have had him on a routine since birth, i dont mind a change, im just trying to find out what change that should be.
    Abigaillenore

Comment by Abigaillenore (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have a bad back and could't rock my daughter for long. I had a little swing with lights and music and she always went strait to sleep in it, then i'd just move her to her crib. I know its hard to let them cry to sleep but remember that if you allow him or her to get away with it all the time it will only make it harder on the both of you the older the child gets.
    mamatobe1989

Answer by mamatobe1989 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i play music or sing to my son because when hes sleepy he gets fussy and the rocking doesnt work anymore. sometimes ill hold him close and just walk around
    BUBBLES1121

Answer by BUBBLES1121 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010