How do I get my just turned 3 year old DD to stop biting my 11 month old DS?

I've tried the naughty spot, I've tried hitting her, I've tried biting her, not hard, of course, I am about to lose it with her. She doesn't bite the skin, but the bites get worse and harder each time!

momofana82

Asked by momofana82 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• i think that if she is just doing it out of anger than i think that taking away privillage/special item could work....not letting my 3 yr old wear dresses as a punishment works for her...you just have to find out what works for each child.
    mommyof2wa

Answer by mommyof2wa at 1:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have the opposite, my 18 month hits and bites my 7 yr old.. I redirect and say NO NO
    m0m2twoboys

Answer by m0m2twoboys at 1:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU WITH MY 3 YR OLD BITTING MY 19 1/2MONTH OLD. IF YOU FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS PLEASE LET ME KNOW RIGHT AWAY.
    MomOf2LilGirls

Answer by MomOf2LilGirls at 1:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Are second molars in? My son went through a refreshed biting stage when they came in. The other thing I would offer is to give them a biting item. A cold washcloth, a rag, blanket or something else soft so that when they feel like they have to bite they can bite that instead until they can tell you what's really wrong. It worked for one of our children at the child care center and it's a lot less stressful than trying to find a punishment.
    Shmop

Answer by Shmop at 1:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• well we had kinda the same problem but our daughter would bite all her friends. It seems as though a combination of time and her friends biting her back did the trick.
    MommyandJenna

Answer by MommyandJenna at 1:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I'd smack mine in the mouth, just hard enough so they won't do it again. How many smacks in the mouth will it take to make a child stop that?
    Anonymous

• most older sibling act out against the younger ones whne they feel they arent getting the ammount of attention from mom and dad that little bro is getting - so try this - let big sis know that saturday will be mommy and her time and ask her what she wants to do (go to a park- eat breakfast at a restaurant) have a fun mommy and me day while dad and lil bro have time together.
    then later next week its dads turn - do this for a while and you should see a significant change.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• IF IT KEEPS ON YOU MAY HAVE TO HAVE THE OTHER CHILD BITE BACK JUST HARD ENOUGH TO SHOW IT HURTS OR TAKE THINGS AWAY THEY REALLY LIKE
    jmmcaskill

Answer by jmmcaskill at 6:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• WHen my son had a problem with pulling hair....I pulled his hair back and he never did it again....just enough to know that it isnt nice....I say bite the child back.
    Missibeth3

Answer by Missibeth3 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

Missibeth3