Beets

Are beets healthy for you? What are they good for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Beets are good for you. You should be eating all colors of veggies in your diet. I like a cold beet salad, where I dress sliced beets with a dressing of oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, and a little garlic. I also like sliced beets in a green salad.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Beets are awesome. You can even use them to dye your hair.

But beets are good for cleaning the blood, have vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, and C. The greens are also loaded with iron (more-so than spinach). The root itself is a great source of choline, folic acid, iodine, manganese, organic sodium, potassium, fiber and carbohydrates.

My favorite recipe is homemade borscht which I got from my grandma. Uses potatoes, beef, the whole beet (root and leaves), carrots, onion, and celery. Dice and brown the beef, toss in a pot with the diced vegetables, top with water, add salt, pepper, garlic powder and some onion powder, cook until vegetables are softened. You can blend it up or leave as is. Serve with sour cream. I try to make it the night before I give blood and have after I do give and I feel great.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010