Do you think it's right..... (food stamps)

Do you think it's okay for people to be on government assistance, but yet also have internet, cable tv, and other luxuries? I'm just confused as to why so many people need assistance to feed their families, but yet they have internet, cable tv, and better cell phones that I have! What are your thoughts? No bashing please!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm with you... I think they are taken it from someone eles that could really need it for there own selfish wants... if you cant afford to feed your kids or dress them in things that fit then you dont need to be spending your money on luxery items. I drive a decent car and have a base phone, internet and cable plan but i make sure my family has food. I think they are selfish and should have the food stamps taken away
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 7:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i think its okay if its done right. i've been on foodstamps and had cable, but never high teck things. we just now got a computer, and im not on any financial help now.
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i dont know. i have assistants but i dont have anything else. i dont pay for the net, i dont have a phone, or a car.. but im sure some people screw the system. i see it all the time. and yes i do think its wrong theres people that really do need it and get turned down!
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i got food stamps right after i had my baby cause of only one income during that short 6weeks but i wasn't going to turn my cable off just cause i was getting them cable was $45.00 and i got around $200.00 for food, dont think i was going to go threw the trouble to turn it off and then just have to pay for it to be re installed again. i agree with hotmama, it depends. i also dont get them anymore and was not buying things i didn't need.
    Anonymous

• None of anyones beeswax. Do you want anyone coming around telling you how you should or should not spend your money? people I am telling you, it is very bad karma to judge like this. All citizens pay taxes even citizens on assitance.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I wasnt sayn dont have it at all. I understand if you have all those things before and suddenly need help dont turn it off cause i know it cost crazy amount to do it. but slim down your plans to afford better and that way you can safe up. Getting the assistnets will help you do that cause you arent haven to struggle to keep your head above the water.
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 7:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• No one knows the situation each family is in. You are insulting people on here with your judgements.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Hmmmmm. I have gotten food stamps and have internet and plain old basic $16-a-month cable. I am a single parent of four kids and get $400 a month child support and make approximately $1500 a month working full time from home doing medical transcription ONLINE so have to have internet! It allows me to not have my kids in daycare and not have to pay a ton of gas money to get to and from work. I don't see how it is a problem. I think it is more like a case-by-case basis. I HATE getting the food stamps, but my kids DO LIKE eating more than peanut butter and noodles. I don't think people who do not work should get assistance. Everyone should have a job unless they can prove some type of disability that they cannot.
    Anonymous

• pnwmom: no one is judging. I am simply asking if you think it's right that people get assistance, but yet have nicer things than I do. I am not on assistance either. I can completely understand having internet if you need it for work etc. but to have internet and cable, nice phones, brand new cars.... something isn't right with that!

And, for the record, I am not saying they should tell people how to spend their money. HOWEVER, if people cannot feed their kids, and they have those luxuries it's not fair to people out there who actually need it. My point is that if they need to feed their kids, then why are they spending their money on luxuries instead? Shouldn''t they be feeding their kids instead? Hmmm
    Anonymous

• I agree it is a case by case thing what im sayn i dont agree with and not trying to insult anyone is when i see people and i have a person in my family like this, they go out to clubs spend tons on beer and drive over priced cars and their kids are wearing things to small for them and then complain that they dont have money for food... anything other then that im oh k with.. i mean im on wic for my 2 kids cause my hubby makes maybe 1600 a month and cause of daycare cost i dont work, it does all depend on the situation
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 8:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2008