Breastmilk question: I pumped and my milk was two different colors and consistencies during the same pumping session.

Right side was watery and almost a greenish color, left side was thick and more creamy yellowish hue. Is this normal?? (I had fed baby on the left side last...if that matters)

k8reimy

Asked by k8reimy at 3:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fore milk and hind milk maybe.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes, it's okay.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yep, foremilk and hind milk
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You had hind milk on the left (which is fattier), and fore milk from the right (which is thirst quenching, and watery). This is why it is important to allow the baby to suckle one one breast each feeding, unless they continue to show signs of hunger, and not switch 1/2 way through. Otherwise they only get the fore milk.

BTW- your milk will change colors too, depending on what you eat the most of. Mine was pink one day after I had eaten a ton of fresh roasted beets, and very orange another after I had eaten a ton of sweet potato, carrot, and winter squash. It is also affected by food colorings (like are in candy & pop). Don't worry about color, it will change on a daily basis, from feeding to feeding.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Fore milk is watery and can be a light color. Mine was usually bluish. The hind milk is thicker and full of cream and is whiter.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• ObbyDobbie is completely right. My milk sometimes is blueish and other times greenish depending on what I eat.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• totally normal and not a concern
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yup completely normal. The green colors just means that you must have recently been eating lots of green leafy veggies
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 11:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• the same happened to me. It's fine.
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 2:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2010