Is donating bone marrow dangerous?

In honor of my cousin who battled (and survived!) childhood luekemia, I signed up to be a potential bone marrow/stem cell donor. They essentially let you take a swab and rub it on your cheeks and they test your tissues and put you in a database where families can look for a match. If you are a match for someone they call you and do additional tests and if you are compatible after that, you can donate either marrow or stem cells. My body would successfully replenish whatever they take. Anywho, I told someone about this and they said it was nice...but they thought they read it was dangerous??? I had never heard this...and while I'd still like to help others if it's THAT dangerous I'm not sure I want to risk my life and have my kids without a mom. Does anyone know if it dangerous and what exactly is involved??? I just thought they shoved a needle in there and extracted it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Health

• NOt really. Like all surgical procedures, there is a risk of infection, it is extremely painful etc.
    But not "dangerous"
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• no, but it is very painful because they have to stick the needle into your bone to get the marrow
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Donating bone marrow is a relatively safe procedure. First, it may be helpful to read about the bone marrow collection process. It involves the removal of only a small proportion of the body’s marrow, and therefore has little if any effect on the donor. The donor’s body replaces the lost marrow within a few weeks.

The area where the bone marrow was taken may feel a little stiff and sore for a few days. It is also not uncommon to feel a little weak, although most donors are able to go back to their usual routine within a few days. There is also a small risk of problems associated with general anesthesia.

There are no long term side effects of bone marrow donation.

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It's very painful but i don't know that it is more dangerous than other routine medical procedures.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I know a woman that donated and she said it hurt a lot, but I've never heard that it was dangerous.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It is not really dangerous, but it is painful. I think a little discomfort is totally worth saving someone's life, though.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2010