Did/does your child have a belly button hernia?

My daughter has had a belly button hernia since she was born. Her former pediatrican told us that she would have to have surgery to remove it if it didn't go away on it's own by the time she turns three. Well, she's two now and I've noticed she's been grabbing it a lot. She'll come up to me grabbing it and making a whimpering noise. So I'm assuming it hurts or is at least sore. Her new pediatrican said it looks normal and if it's smaller than it was before, he's not concerned about it. It protrudes out when she stands up and I'm just worried that something's wrong. Her having surgery scares me to death. Anyone else go through this with their children?

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was born with one but it went away by itself after a few months,thank goodness.
    If your little girl is feeling pain,I would take her to her doctor soon. It might be strangulated.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My brother had sugery for his when he was very young. The surgey did`nt seem to be a big deal for him and he healed wonderfully.
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my daughter got 2 hernias in the belly bottom area after having pyloric stenosis...she had 3 surgery's in total
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 3:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My daughter developed one when she was a few weeks old. It started shrinking as she started walking, and went away on it's own.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yep. Both of my boys do. Supposedly if they are not gone by age 4 they need surgery, which means in 3 weeks for my older son :( It is more common in African American children and my kids are mixed so I guess they got it. My kids just push theirs and say beep and do silly things like that. It seems like your daughter's might be hurting her :( I would look into that further.
    jeano23

Answer by jeano23 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my son had a belly button hernia and ped said it would go away on its own and it has
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 3:58 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yeah, I'm hoping to get her in to see her pediatrician this week. She needs to get a flu shot and some fluoride stuff they put on her teeth to help prevent cavities anyways, so he can look at her belly button while he's doing all of that. Hopefully it's nothing serious!!
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010