How do you jazz up your childs school lunch(packed by parent) so they don't get bored?

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A note on their napkin, a special snack, use different cookie cutters on their sandwiches. You might want to do it once in awhile so it's special.
    chrstn_rm

Answer by chrstn_rm at 3:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• notes with cartoons drawn on them.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My kiddos love chicken ring-o's. I buy them at walmart. They are in rings (obviously) and they thaw by lunch time. They have some soy in them but they pack a really big protein punch. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son eats at school, but, I saw this site and it has ideas I may try just for home: http://www.laptoplunches.com/photo-gallery.php

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Make everything in bite-sized, dippable pieces. Every kid likes to dip their food into stuff - ranch, honey, marinara sauce... mmm!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Use cookie cutters to cut out fun shapes for sandwiches, make breakfast for lunch.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son packs his own lunches now, when we go to the grocery together (he LOVES shopping with me!) he picks what he wants and sometimes he switches things up so that is what works for us. He really likes making his own choices and packing his own food each day.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my son son hates to have more then a sandwich,,,,
    However....with my girls I would write them notes to read but nothing that would get them teased and give then plenty of variety
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Use a Bento lunch box (google it, so fun) cut veggies and fruit into little shapes and make it look really cool- whatever they're into.
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 9:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I use a Bento lunch too. My son loves (currently) the sandwich that is in the shape of a duck (I use the cookie cutter) and I put in gold fish by the duck for the duck to eat. I use a raisin for the duck's eye. Cheese in the shape of a flower with celery as the stem.  Granola sprinkled on top of yogurt. Having my son pack his lunch with me helps him to get excited about his lunch as well.  For days we do not use a Bento box we like to use colorful containers for him.  My son is in preschool so he doesn't read.  But who doesn't understand a smiley face?  His school allows us to heat up food so that makes lunch so much easier to prepare as well.  Dinosaur shaped chicken was a staple for some time.  We have moved on to homemade pastas and pizzas.  We also give zesty names for our meals.  Like worms and guts for spaghetti.  Themes work so well.  Pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin muffins this month for October. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010