I just started a home based business, how do I market it to start making money?

mwallace1023

Asked by mwallace1023 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• well, it depends on what you are selling...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• without knowing what business you are in, I would suggest a blog and a fanpage on facebook. Then contacting friends, family, neighbors, kids friends, etc. to tell them that you are in business. You could even host your own "grand opening" event. Good luck! What a fun time for you. :o)
    feltermom

Answer by feltermom at 3:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It really depends on what the business is but you could put an add in your Local Paper to start.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Well I would say whoever your mentor is should be guiding you in all of that?!
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am actually try 3 different companies. One is internet based and the other two are direct sales. It is my internet based business that I don't know how to market. My mentor suggested social networking and getting my website out there but that is the part that I don't know how to do.
    mwallace1023

Comment by mwallace1023 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Sadly most recruit and then disappear and don't help, it's just about signing to them.

But it does depend on what you are selling. A company like Avon has brochures inexpensive enough to buy 100+ each campaign and go around your neighborhood with them. Most companies though charge a lot more for catalogs or brochures. BUT you could at least go to vistaprint and make free business cards, post cards, t-shirts, etc. Business card and post cards can be left in the neighborhood on bulletin boards where allowed. Post cards can be mailed or left door to door (just not in or on a mailbox unless it has postage on it). T-shirts can say "I sell ________. Ask me for a FREE sample" and if anyone asks be sure to get their name and number and FOLLOW UP.

Get window decals for your car on ebay, a lawn sign for your lawn, go to networking events and make your contact list and make calls.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yeah social networking is great... and website or blogs that cater to women. i have a site that is just home jobs and businesses. www.earningsinabsket.info
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• AdWord! It's the only way to bring good business to your business.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Congratulation! Starting a new homebased business you must let people know who you are and what you do. Every business person needs business cards. Pass them out everywhere you go. Ask if they need your ________________(not sure what your product or service . There are so many ways to market your business. Moms above has posted some great ideas. I am sure you will see more.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 6:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Well, this is an interesting idea for advertising.
    http://operationbeautiful.com/monday-notes-october-4-2010/
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010