What do you think about vow renewals?

My husband and I got married at the courthouse back in 2008. We didn't tell anyone, we kept it to ourselves until after the marriage took place. We were already engaged and had to speed things up for personal reasons. We never really talked about having a big wedding with our family and friends in attendance. But my dad has been bringing it up a lot lately that he never got to walk me down the aisle. So a vow renewal has been on my mind lately and I personally don't know anyone who has had one. I was thinking I could do a small ceremony with my closest relatives and my husband's siblings since both of his parents are deceased by the lake in my homestate. We are thinking of doing it for our fifth anniversary, which will be in 2013. I figured my dad and my daughter can walk me down the aisle.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• OK some might consider you a gift grabber, but that's their problem.
    I say have one and have fun! nothing wrong with it. DH and I had a family wedding, then renewed on our 8th anniversary on a trip to las vegas with just us.
    we had a great time!
    I actually wondered if we would be thought of as strange in las vegas because it was anniversary 8 and not 10 or 15.
    I couldn't have been more wrong! I was told that people renew all the time, and I was asked what was the secret for a happy long marriage!

guess they don't see a lot of people married that long in vegas..................
    go for it! wear the dress of your dreams, have a big cake, do what you want! if some folks don't like it,
    screw 'em!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I do not know anyone who has done it either, although it does sound interesting. I think your idea to have one on your 5th anniversary is a nice one, that way your dad can be a part of it, and your friends/family can be there to celebrate your day with you.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think that would be lovely to have it the way you described it! I also think the person who called you a gift grabber was rude and obnoxious. Most people who renew their vows do it for sentimental reasons, not because they want gifts. We haven't done it yet, but we've talked about renewing our vows. We had the big church wedding, all serious and scared (and excited of course, lol!) Hubby wants to do something a little light hearted and maybe dress up in period clothing or something. I doubt that we will get to do that, but I think it would be nice just to stand up in front of friends and family and pledge our vows again. Maybe on our 25th we will. Good luck on yours!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't know anyone who has done it either, but my best friend has mentioned renewing hers and I think it's a GREAT idea!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• We were thinking of renewing our vows maybe on a special anniversary, maybe 15 years...
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I've mentioned vow renewals on here before and someone called me a "gift grabber." She told me that if I invited anyone, they wouldn't come because they would think I'm just doing the whole ceremony for the gifts! Uh I never asked for gifts before and I wouldn't ask for gifts now. My husband and I have been living together for over three years now, why would I need gifts? We have everything we need. I would even specify in the invitations NO GIFTS, just their attendance! Ugh, I really hope no one else feels that way.
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010