Is there something wrong with cheering for my son when he is participating in sports?

My son runs cross country and I was talking about his last race with some family. I mentioned how I was jumping up and down, yelling because when the runners were coming in, my son was in 1st place. My uncle said he would come to the next meet and if he saw me yelling at my son, he was going to yell at me. I don't yell AT him, I cheer FOR him! Is it wrong to be excited that he was in 1st place and wanting him to stay there? I don't get mad at him if he doesn't come in 1st but it's always exciting when he does. I always tell him it's not important what place he comes in. Am I sending a mixed message?

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Totally not wrong to be excited for your child. Show Pride in what they are doing. Its your right as a mom. I dont put much on winning but I do on having fun. It bugs my High schoolers. They want to win. Especially when colleges are looking at them.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't think so. My boys play a lot of sports (Wrestling, Football, Baseball, Track) and I always cheer. I get really excited when my son's score a touch down or run the ball 60 yards, if they hit a home run or a single, if they pin the other kid or even just make a good move and get points. There is nothing wrong with being excited and cheering on your son. I think our children like to hear it (even if maybe they say they don't) because it lets them know we are proud of them, and that we are there, in the cold, in the heat whenever we are making our presence known.
    My older son doesn't like me to cheer at wrestling so I tone it down there. However when he was at Districts ast year and was beating the kid that was 33 - 0 for his place at State, I was up and cheering and jumping that the kid in front of me had to move because I kept hitting him in the head. I was in tears when he won, I know my son didn't care then.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I cheered a lot for our boys when they were in sports but I do admit I went a little over board at first. I toned it down over time and went to clapping and words of encouragement. Plus we cheered for anyone on his team who was doing well.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Cheer for your son...I bet he loves it. Forget people who tell you not to. Cheer for him win or lose, you are supposed to, your are his Mommy!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010