what can I do so my daughter can stop being breastfed or what can I do to have more breastmilk

krystal2010

Asked by krystal2010 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you drinking enough water in the daytime? Be sure you are getting enough and that you are sleeping enough at nights too. Sometimes stress, too much exercise, lack of sleep, etc. can effect your breast milk.
    I have heard that red rasberry tea (its an herbal tea) can help increase lactation. You can try that too.

Baby MAY be in the middle of a growth spurt and eating more than normal. There were times I thought I was drying up and it turned out she was just eating more. :o)

Hope this helps!
    feltermom

Answer by feltermom at 3:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• it's normal for her to not want anything but breast milk, and also normal to not get anything out of a pump. as long as she pees plenty, i wouldn't worry. have you tried posting in a breastfeeding group? good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Pumping is not a good reflection of how much milk you have. Some moms can pump very little. With my first child I would get 10 oz easily when I pumped. With my second I struggled to get any!

Keep nursing her whenever she wants it and your body will produce enough milk for her. Also, solids are just for practice right now. The majority of her food needs to come from breastmilk anyway. Mostly because I was lazy, but also because he wasn't ready, my fourth child just started solids a little more than a month ago (at 9 months). He is still mostly breastfeeding.

She may be wanting to nurse more because of a growth spurt, teething (my kids hated to eat when they had teeth coming in), not feeling well, or just enjoys nursing!

Good job going this long and keep it up!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Feed her more directly from the breast, that will make enough. If she is wetting at least 6 diapers a day, she is getting enough. Why do you think you need to make more?

Or, you drop one feeding at a time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It's fine to just nurse at 7 months, solids can wait a bit if you'd like. Also, what you pump (or DON'T pump) means absolutely nothing. If you'd like to keep nursing, just nurse on demand. If you'd like to wean, replace one nursing per week with formula. If you're nursing exclusively, and changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hour period, then your baby IS getting enough.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• How old is she? Why do you think you aren't making enough milk?
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 3:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• She is 7 months old and just doesn't want to eat anything else but breastmilk and I do breastfeed her directly from my breast but last time I try to pump some milk I was surprised but didn't had anything to pump and I had not breasfeed her for at least 4 hours....
    krystal2010

Comment by krystal2010 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Most health food stores offer products that aid in producing more breast milk safely. Also the more you nurse the more milk you are telling your body to produce.
    blessedwork

Answer by blessedwork at 4:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• solids are for practiced. you can do bm for the whole year. i didnt start solids with my ds till he was 9 mts.not to mention breastmilk should be the main food.. so if you stop bf you will have to buy formula and that is alot more work. pumping is not and indictor of supply. as long as the diaper count is good there is no supply issues
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010