WOW really?! Religious school question/venting

My daughter who is turning 4 in a week recently started attending the Lutheran school at the church my grandma goes to. I was fine with having to pay for her to wear a uniform, I am fine with sending a buck on Wednesdays for her to give at chapel. But I just got a BILL for $250 since I'm not volunteering or attending the walk-a-thon. On top of that, if I don't volunteer a minimum of 10 hours in the school year, I will be billed $40. I wasn't aware of any of this when I registered her, I didn't have to sign any special contracts or whatever. I have a 21 month old and an 8 month old as well and I can't make it to every event they host, which they host a lot! And even if I could, I don't like the idea of being FORCED to do so. Either come or pay? WTF! How can they get away with this!? Do all religious schools do this crap??

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would give them a call and find out what is going on! My guess is you somehow slipped through the cracks and they made a mistake on not letting you know all this stuff up front. Be calm, look for some answers, and see if you can work something out with them since it was most likely their mistake! Maybe they thought you would know this stuff because 'grandma' goes there. Whatever caused the mix up, they should be willing to work with you, at least for this year.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My kids went to a Catholic school for the last 3 years and we were required to do 20 hours of service to the school every year.  If you couldn't or chose not to they billed you $10 per hour ($200 for the year) in addition to the tuition.  We were also required to raise $500 per family during their fundraisers.  If you didn't that was tacked on to the tuition, too.

But that was all stated up front and we had to sign a contract at the beginning of the school year saying we understood all that.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am guessing this is how they comp the difference in tuition. The other schools might charge it outright but they charge you here and there. 10 hours for a whole school year does not seem like that much. Maybe an hour and a half a month. Many schools allow you to take younger siblings. That is what I have to do on occasion if they need a volunteer, I am a stay at home Mom and I don't have anyone to watch my littler ones. I would try to be your a little more flexible.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yup! I have to either work Bingo every Sunday or pay $875. We also have to participate in other costly fundraisers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Her tuition is not cheap. And I'm fine with that too, most preschools are about the same. But I am not made of money and I wish I had known all of this before taking her there. If this is the norm in private schools I am definitely taking her out.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Even at federally funded Headstart you HAVE to volunteer at least 10 hours per month.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• matthewscandi, per month?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010