Anything I can do to make a kitten with a cold feel better?

Kentuckygal511

Asked by Kentuckygal511 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pets

• at the risk of sounding like a fairy tale, make him some booties lol (puss in boots lol)

But really, make some little booties for him or maybe just cuddle him in a fleece blanket. GL!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I never heard of an animal having a cold. Take it to the vet.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It is more then likely an upper respiratory infection (kitty cold).  You need to take the cat to the vet.  If the cat does not get treated it can get worse. I have seen cats die from this which is a shame because it is treatable.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Bring your little fur ball to the Vet's they need to be on antibiotics.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I did take her to the vet and she's on antibiotics already. I just want to offer her some comfort.
    Kentuckygal511

Comment by Kentuckygal511 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• if she is congested you might turn the shower on in the bathroom and put her in the bathroom for a few minutes that might help her
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• A warm shower in a closed bathroom helps, and if you add either some of the treated baby bath or some plain vicks vapor rub so the steam carries it will help more. Don't put the vicks on the kitten though. If she isn't eating much, try some plain tuna in water or add some rice to tuna. When cats can't smell, they don't want to eat (and generally won't eat anything they can't smell). Otherwise, just let her cuddle if she wants to. The antibiotics should kick in soon and then she will feel better.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• aww, wipe his nose. Poor thing!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have been wiping and washing off the gunk. She seems to have the shivers, so I think we'll head back to the vet today. She's only eight weeks old and I'm worried about her. My dd loves her so much already, and we've barely had her a week! Thanks everyone!
    Kentuckygal511

Comment by Kentuckygal511 (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Back to the vet we went, although I actually took her to a different one b/c mine couldn;t get me in. Turns out our kiteen is nowhere near 8 weeks old, and more like 4 weeks and the animal shelter should never have let us adopt her. She wasn't eating b/c she isn't old enough to eat big cat food and should still be eating milk, so they put her on a different ab for what they called a severe upper respiratory infection, they gave her a bolus of fluids and a high cal supplement as well as we have to hand feed her milk replacement every two hours so she can gain some weight and have some resources to fight her infection. She's currently quarantined in our room with a heating pad and a tiny litter box, so no kids or our other cat can get to her. Bless her sweet little heart. I hope we can get her healthy again. Thanks for all your answers!
    Kentuckygal511

Comment by Kentuckygal511 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010