My 11 yr old son is ashamed of his body, he is a little overweight for his age, but in his mind he thinks he is obese.

ok... he is more like 16 pounds over wight. The doctor told me to watch his diet, which i am doing. But he doesn't seem to loose the weight. My main concern is that because of his overweight problem, he is ashamed of his "man-boobs"! He doesn't even take off his shirt when he goes to the pool or beach and does not want anyone seeing him without a shirt at home! It breaks my heart to see him going through all this!.....i don't know what else to do or say to him. Can anyone out there give me advise please??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• do things with him. take him hiking, see if he wants to get involved in sports, go for a run with him. fitness and exercise is so important for everyone to do to stay healthy, no matter what your age is
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Exercise!!!
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm sorry! My son is the same, he is 5 and built like his dad. Right now he laughs and says "I'm fat!" but I'm afraid as he gets older, he may become affected by his weight. He also has "man boobs." Keep watching what he eats and make sure he exercises. Go for walks together and try to get him involved in sports.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'd suggest getting him involved with sports, see what he likes to do. Football, Track, Baseball...sports not only builds unity among a group of peers, they also allow children to challenge themselves, they help put an emphasis with being in shape and staying healthy. It's a great form of excerise and he will have the opportunity to be with a group of peers, that will be team oriented and accepting, which will help build self esteem. If he struggles a little the sport look into camps to help with his abilities, so he can feel more confident in himself.
    Consider taking bike rides in the evenings together as a family or a walk. Maybe consider joining the YMCA or a gym with multiple activites. Keeping active, limiting junk food, and try looking up his favorite recipes or snacks to alter the fat content. Good Luck, just continue to show how much you care and want to help, without being overly pushy.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Eat Healthier- no soda in the house. no white bread. no eating out. less red meat. more chicken/protiens. fruits as a snack. more veggies on the table. stop fried foods. only bake. .... Get him active... Most kids spend time on the internet/ video games instead of outside playing. And if he is unhappy with his body it is probably causing him to NOT want to be outside being active.
    Maybe you have one or can get one.. but a Wii is awesome! There are tons of games that are FUN and you get a workout doing them-without even knowing "hey im working out".. instead you think "im kicken' my moms butt!" ... \(sport resort)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• A family member was "chubby" around 10/11.. He hated it & it effected him alot.. But it only made him gain more weight... By the time he was in 11th grade he was 300+lbs!!!
    Then in the 12th grade. something kicked in... and he was determined to lose the weight. he forced himself to run (we feared he would have a heart attack while doing this!) he cut his meals in 1/2 (he would get his usual meal & throw 1/2 in the trash).. He lost the weight fast!
    But the downfall is... He is 20yrs old. attractive young man.. but now he is ashamed because he has extra skin from all the weight gain/loss!
    Dont let this be your son.. help him now before it gets out of hand. before its a health concern.. kids are having strokes/ diabietes/ heart attacks/ and more.. and it could ALL be prevented!
    Anonymous

• That is awful for a kid...try exercising as a family, getting him into sports, etc...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Get him involved in sports, get him outside moving. Maybe get a weight set and encourage him to use it. My dh had a friend whose son was chunky in his early teens. He started baseball and working out. Now at 18 you'd never know he had an issue with weight. Being someone who has an issue with this now, please start now.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2010