Has anyone ever started a moms group in your town?

My town does not have any sort of moms group and I am thinking of maybe starting one. Has anyone ever done this or could give some tips to get started.

cherylw993

Asked by cherylw993 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes I have...... However, mine was not for moms & kids....mine was simply for moms.

The way mine worked - I planed an adventure outing once a month during school hours for moms only. We would go kayaking, surfing, hiking, rock climbing, archery, etc. I started out by planning an outing and emailing as many like minded moms as I knew with the date and information. I told them they were welcome to invite friends. I have been doing this for 6 yrs now and have well over 100 ladies on my email list. I have enough clout now to get REALLY good deals at the places I book. We have been in the paper twice, on the local news once, and even had a little segment on the Today Show a couple years back.

Nothing to it.... just make the plans, send the emails, and let it roll.
    Anonymous

• I started a Dar a Luz chapter. it hasn't grown like I wanted or expected it to, but we're working on it :)

Even just starting up a playgroup would be good.

I also attend La Leche League and fuctions and events that my midwife hoasts.

All of those are good ideas :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• go to meetups.com....they will probably have some groups near you one there. If not you can use the website to start your own group, it is really easy.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• On Meetup.com, there is an excellent group around Pittsburgh but it's mostly for moms with little kids so I didn't join. I know some women who have and it's very active. They really like it.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010