Hypothyroid treatment during pregnancy

I was told at the beginning of my pregnancy that it was important to monitor my thyroid levels throughout and it is recommended that levels be checked every 4-6 weeks. That was when I had insurance and an endocrinologist. Since losing my job I am unable to get into an endocrinologist until after the baby is born and the perinatalogist was supposed to monitor but she tells me that they don't need to test my blood - they took two levels and the medication was doing its job (it had just been increased). My endo said it would probably need to be increased again since my fluid volume would increase. My baby is big for gest. age and seems healthy but I'm concerned about how this is affecting me too... wondering about your hypothyroid treatment and changes during pregnancy

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I can understand your worry. I was told the same as you at the beginning of my twin pregnancy, but over time the doctors' stories changed. I was tested several times during the first and second trimesters, but my medication was only adjusted slightly once during the first trimester. During the second trimester my endocrinologist told me I didn't need to come back to see him until after my babies were born. He told me that most medication adjustments occur during the first trimester, and by the second trimester things have usually stabilized. I didn't have any complications or problems, and both of my babies were fine. I do know that I can always tell something is not right when my medication needs to be changed, so I think you will know if you aren't feeling right.  If you know you don't feel right tell your doctor and don't take no for an answer.  GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i agree tell dr and gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thanks TweenAndTwinMom - that helps. I have no idea if I'm feeling "normal" for being 8 months pregnant or not lol. My legs hurt and I'm cranky as hell but I don't think that's thyroid related...
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes, it is a bit trickier knowing what "right" feels like at 8 months pregnant. If you feel more tired than you think you should or anything like that just tell your doctor and let them know that you think it might be due to your thyroid problems rather than your pregnancy. I would think they'd have to check it out if you voiced specific concerns, and since all it takes is blood tests it's not like it is all that difficult either. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2010