Is your kid latch key?

My 11 year old will be on mon-wed this year. Literally for 5 minutes because I have to pick my son up from pre-k and his school is a 5 minute drive from our house. I think it's a great pre-practice for her teen years when it will be longer. Also my neighbor watches her and my house until I get home. I am actually excited to see how she will handle this responsibility. What do you guys think? I was latchkey even earlier for longer boy things were different back then.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have been a single working mom for 7 yrs. My dd was 11 when we moved to our apartment and brother was 9. I had this outside job, so I would meet them at the bus stop, walk back to the apt which was like 5 min away, then go back to work. They where alone in that house from 2pm till whenever I got off work. It wasnt till later that I was able to get them into the Boys and Girls Club.They did great though..they are 18 and 16 now. They have never given me one cause for worry through all these years of being latch key kids. Im very grateful and very proud. 5 minutes for your child is no big deal, she will be just fine, specially with your neighbor watching out for her!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 4:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• heck no.

I was and that is why I arranged my entire life so that my kids never ever would have to be. I know first hand the kind of trouble kids can get into, and clean up, before mom gets home. It is simply not good for a child.

That is not to say that my kids are not allowed to be home alone. My kids can stay home while I run errands, and have stayed home while I ran carpools, etc. They are currently h.s., middle school, and 3rd grade.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Oh... I dont think the 5 min. is an issue.... I also wouldnt call it a latch key kid.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I stayed home after school by myself from 9 years old form 3:30-5:30 after school when my parents got home from work I also put myself on the bus every morning cuz my parents left for work at 7 and the bus ran at 7:20. I think she will be okay.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would never let my kids be latch key kids. I got into SO MUCH trouble that way. 5 minutes doesn't really count, though
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Mine is one and has been for years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010