I love how people just assume things

Like if you are getting food stamps you sit on your tush all day feeding your kids nothing but soda and candy and for dinner it's lobster and t-bones when I have enough left on my card because I used most to by drugs and I have 8 kids with 8 diffrent baby daddies. Are people really this ignorant to think that this is how most are I wonder how many average moms here on the cafe get food stamps or medical asst. We don't make known to all because it is looked down on does it make me a bad person or mother Heck no I am doing what is needed to help take care of my family in this time in our life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Money & Work

• I agree. we dont make enough to survive and we only have medical for the baby. they say we make to much. to qualify for assistance. my hubby pays taxes. So that should help us. lets see them survive on what ilttle we have.
    Anonymous

• yep, i am tired of this attitude as well.. I keep replying to the ones who seem to think it's a character flaw to qualify for government assistance, in fact, i just recently posted the income guidelines for qualifying for WIC. I think a lot of people would be shocked to realize what those are. As for me, considering what a lot of our taxes go to (ridiculous outfits for presidential campaigns, $400 hammers, perks, trips, booze for people in office), I'll happily pay my taxes for children to eat.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Hey if you honestly need help dont be scared to ask for it i know i did. Do what you got to to take care of your family. But dont abuse it. Yeah there is people out there that are like that but not everyone most people honestly need it. We may see people that have help that have nice things but we never know if they got a rich parent thats trying to help them. Most people need help every now and then dont be scared to get it.
    Anonymous

• Oh... My favorite is the one where people tell me that I am on food stamps because I want to spend my money on things they can't afford and I don't deserve... I think my kids deserve heat!
    Anonymous

• I also love how people assume that because you are self employed that you do nothing. My husband owns his own business and is a mechanic, so he gets pretty dirty. Anytime it comes up, like at the hospital, they make him feel like dirt. And when I was pregnant I got wic because for some reason I couldn't gain weight. THere was only once he went with me because after I got the stuff wic paid for, the cashier looked at him and at me , then asked him "so will the rest of this be food stamps?" Like you said, is that such a bad thing if it were? Really, people need assistance sometimes and not everyone is sponging off the system. People just want to be condescending to make themselves feel better....
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 8:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• If you need the help, take it. There is no shame in needing help.

Unfortunately, too many have abused the system and too many do buy junk food instead of good food. As they say, one rotten apple ruins the barrel. The people who abuse the system, who sit around at home, having baby after baby, refusing to learn any skills or find a job, sour people on continuing to support the system.  Good people like you suffer because of the actions of a few.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• people also think because I get asst. that I should lose my freedoms like in being able to choose what food I buy for my family like it's a crime if I get some ice cream. I agree they think I have all this left over money because I get food stamps well no almost all our money goes to pay bill and buy things like toliet paper I don't evn use dispoaible dipes I use cloth to save money I shop second hand I am not out getting my nails done and shopping at coach
    Anonymous

• I am getting food stamps right now, but it is only 210 month and that doesn't go very far for a family of five I usually use it up in the first two weeks of the month
    Anonymous

• I have 2 girls not even a year apart when i had the first i was set money wise and we had another and things came up and we needed help so i got it. I had both my girls with me and i used my wic check and the women actully asked me if you cant afford them why did you have them...OMG i wanted to hit her but i knew the cop that would respond would be my hubby and he would have hit her too.. Just because you get gov. help doesnt mean you are trash just means you hit a hard time... I know i said somethings in the last food stamp post and i do believe what i said, but there is maybe less then half a percent of people out there that do abuse it but we cant assume just be looking at someone. You never know what happened for all you know the main money maker could have been injuied or is no longer around things happen. and people are TOOO judgementel i know i am guitly of it sometimes we all are
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 8:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I'm on medical assistance. Screw what people say. when I was living in cali people had the mentality that they'd rather see illegal minorities be on assistance than a young mother with no home.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 8:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2008