• In the Spotlight:

In light of some gay debates on here... how do I handle this with my daughter?

I want to teach her that being gay is just as good as being straight and that it doesn't matter who anyone loves. I don't know how to do this, since we model heterosexuality to her daily and don't know any gay people right now. She's 2 1/2 and I would like for her to understand this before she has to ask me "Mommy, howcome those men are kissing each other?" I would prefer for her to just come to the understanding that sometimes men and women like each other and sometimes they like the opposite sex.

Any way to do this in an age-appropriate manner?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't make it "Us and Them"

We're lucky to have gays in our family, but if you don't it's best to point out ALL the nice couples at the park.
    Keep in mind, you can't remember a world before women voting or blacks and whites being able to marry. These things are all normal to us no matter what people tell us. Your child will never know an America without a Black President, when your child gets to school and her class mates have 2 mommies and you introduce yourself to them as you do all the other parents your child will know there is no difference.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 5:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My daughter is 5, but started asking questions that I would use as an opportunity when she was younger...for example, she wanted a boy Barbie so they could get married, so to something like that I'd say, well, you don't NEED a boy, sometimes girls marry girls and boys marry boys kinda thing, or sometimes girls love boys and sometimes girls love girls and sometimes boys love girls and sometimes boys love boys. I don't get too into it, just keep it light and matter of fact so it will hopefully never be a weird concept to her.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010